My Tried and True Rib Rub Recipe

Jonny K

TVWBB Fan
When I first purchased my WSM I went on a quest to find the perfect rub for my taste which is not too salty, not too sweet and not too spicy. I searched high and low in all the forums and tried many rubs. I even purchased Steven Raichlen's Ribs, Ribs, Ribs book and tried a few recipes there most were too salty or peppery for my taste.

My finding is that most of the recipes were too salty for my taste. I met a guy on the BBQ Bible Forum and we exchanged several emails and he gave me a simpler version of the rub below which I modified it by adding several ingredients and adjusting here and there. I tried it several times and this is what I've concocted.

It's perfect for me. It's sweet but not too sweet. Little salt since I don't like too much salt. It's got just enough heat too. I've only made it dry but I'm sure if you slathered some sauce on the ribs towards the end they would turn out awesome.

I usually spray my ribs after a few hours with an apple cider and a little bourbon combination to keep them moist.

Without further ado here it is. I hope that someone with find it to their liking.

My rub uses a fair amount of brown sugar, very little salt and a little spice. I recommend removing the back membrane, which is easy if you start pulling from the narrow end of the rack. I coat my ribs with simple yellow mustard overnight or several hour before I put on the rub. It's doesn't effect the taste and it will make the rub stick easily. You can cover your ribs moderately with the rub. A large shaker works great. The kind that the pizza places put the crushed red pepper in.

You can adjust to your taste.

2 Cups Dark Brown Sugar
2 tblsp Onion Powder
2 tblsp Garlic Powder
2 tblsp Paprika
2 tblsp Old Bay (contains salt and a little heat)
1 tblsp Kosher Salt
1 tblsp Black Pepper
1 tblsp Onion Flakes
1 tsp Mustard Powder
1 tsp Cayene or Chili Powder.
1 tsp celery seeds

Thanks for checking out my post!

Jonny

Jonny - Don't be afraid to post this in the recipes section under rubs. Folks will have a better chance to find it there when looking for a rub.

Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the tip. I've been reading the board for several months now and still getting to know where to post on the board.

I've posted my recipe in the Rub, Marinades, Mops section.

JK - It is good to have you here and I'm glad you are diving right in. Be sure to make a post in the Intro's section, before it is too late (like me).

Jim

I am trying this recipe today on some ribs, but I could not find the "Old Bay" at my local walmart so I left it out.

What is it exactly?

I don't think it will change the recipe. It's a popular seafood seasoning. Here the Wikipedia explanation:

Old Bay Seasoning is a blend of herbs and spices that is currently marketed in the United States by McCormick & Company, and produced in Maryland. It is named for the Chesapeake Bay area where it was developed by German immigrant Gustav Brunn in the 1940s. The seasoning mix includes celery salt, bay leaf, mustard seed, both black and red pepper, cinnamon, and ginger. It is traditionally used in Mid-Atlantic States and the northern Gulf Coast to season crab and shrimp. It is popular in Baltimore and the Chesapeake Bay region.

You can find it in bulk at your local Sam's or Costco.

I hope that helps!

Back