My Sunday Smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob T.

TVWBB Wizard
First off, I ditched the Brinkman water pan and filled the Weber pan with sand. Seemed like the temps took longer to get to desired area, but that may just be me. Temps held ok when there though.
I did 2 small racks of spare ribs on the bottom rack, and a good size chicken on the upper rack. I brined the chicken and think it made a big difference. Another difference was pulling it (Chicken) off @ 164 deg., foiled and wrapped breast side down and left rest in the chest for a while. Outstanding! Last time I went by the "pop up" thing in the breast, will not do that again. It was so juicy and tender. Pulled the ribs while chicken was "resting" and put on the gas grill for BBQ sauce. They were great also. 4 large chunks of mesquite were used. Thanks to all for the tips.
icon_wink.gif

Bob,
Glad to hear of the successful and delicious cook! I too, have been converted to sand and love it! Those pop up timers are set to go off at 180*, by then you will have chicken jerky!!! You pulled it at the pefect time!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Bob,
Sounds great. I've yet to try chicken as the "horror" stories of "rubber skin" have made me somewhat reluctant to "fowl" me smoker.

How did the skin come out? I know some have had success.

Rath *wants to get in a "fowl" mood*

Sounds great, Bob. And right, Larry--by the time those things pop up the meat's overdone, especially the breast.

Rath,
Low and slow will give you the rubbery skin. I still do mine low and slow because I don't eat the skin anyways and I think they come out better. But you can avoid the rubbery skin by cooking at a higher temp.

Larry,
Yes I've heard that. Problem is the wife loves the skin. I do too, but could live without.

Rath *comtemplates going skinless*

Rath--brine your bird, dry it, seperate the skin from the breast, and air-dry overnight (or for the day) on a rack in the fridge. Cook at higher temps. Keri has success with chicken pieces by pressing out the extra moisture with a towel. Check this thread.

Rath, I did a 7lb Perdue Stuffer 2 weeks ago. Lit 2 full chimneys and dumped um in and then threw the brid on. I butterflied it and let it ride for 2-3hrs I think. The WSM ran at about 325 for the duration. The skin was very nice to eat! IMHO, 300 degrees or more in the WSM is going to be enough heat to get the skin crisp!

Note: If you're going to let it rest, DO NOT COVER IT!! Steam will ruin your crisp skin. Eat the skin first and then let it rest naked!!
icon_smile.gif
Real simple!!!

Bob,
Only one thing wrong with your cook. You broke the golden rule! Whenver cooking poultry with another meat the bird must ALWAYS go on the bottom rack or you run the risk of contaminating your other meat.

Russ, My thinking was if the Temp was high enough to kill any bacteria from the chicken, it is high enough to kill it on the ribs it was dripping on. Not saying I was/am right, just my thinking. The chicken was done about 40 minutes before the ribs. I assume you are talking about the risk of bacteria?

Rath, I do chicken the pretty much the same as Greg. You want to start with all the coals lit and let the WSM come up to temp 300 min i shoot for 325 - 350 before putting the bird on. Skin comes out great.
icon_biggrin.gif

Bob when do you want to come over and see the GURU. Glad to hear that your cook came out great.
icon_biggrin.gif
Send me an email. Bryan

I still want to see how you hooked it up! Didn't forget you, work and being sick the paast 2 weeks hasn't helped. Saturday I went on a cycle ride with a group of friends, broke away early from the group to come home and take my Daughter to Funks for pumpkins and such. A Lady on rte 41 pulled out from a stop sign in front of me and things got a little hairy from there. Long story short, I'm just a little sore and banged up, but VERY lucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back