My Rub

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
The rub I have have come up with uses 1 cup of morton table salt. I wanted to switch to morton corse kosher salt. What should I expect? Is this a bad idea?

Also would that be 1-1/3 cup of kosher.

Thanks

It would be 1.5 cups.

No, it is not a bad idea but remember that since the crystals are larger adequate mixing is needed to intersperse them evenly.

Also, the equivalent measurements for salts (1 c table = 1.5 c Morton kosher = 2 c Diamond Crystal kosher) applies to brines and overall 'saltiness' in various applications where the salt dissolves but the equivalents do not necessarily hold for stuff like dry rubs where salt taste perception has to do not only with salt concentration but also type of salt and its relative position to other ingredients (rub items as well as the meat itself). In other words, though the salt dissolves eventually, you might very well get by with 1 c of kosher or you might need more. You can taste the rub just after blending but to really know how it will translate you'll need to try it after cooking.

You can certainly do that.

I am just curious: Is there a particular reason for the switch, just streamlining your salt stash or...?

I use table non-iodized table salt only for baking so I do not keep a whole lot on hand. Kosher I buy by the case but I have lots of salts--Maldon, Hawaiian red, sal de Guerande, and 3 or 4 more. But I'll grind kosher if I need table for something and I'm out.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
... I have lots of salts--Maldon, Hawaiian red, sal de Guerande, and 3 or 4 more...

Kevin - It is nice to know that it isn't just my wife that has a salt fetish.
icon_rolleyes.gif

How do you use the different varieties? Have you got a favorite?

Jim

I didn't know there was really such a difference in salts. I basicaly thought You had table and Kosher. What is the differences, and how do you use them in rubs or cokking in general?

Bob--

Though salt is salt there are differences, mostly subtle, due to mineral content which affects flavor, and differences that are not so subtle due to color or crystal structure. Most of the differences would be entirely unnoticeable were these salts to be mixed with rub ingredients or just tossed into the cookpot. They are instead used in ways that highlight their especial characteristics. I like Hawaiian red sprinkled on something light-colored--poached white fish, say, or deviled eggs; Maldon's interesting crystalline structure looks (and tastes) great on roasted chicken right out of the kettle or on raw carrots or cuke spears; the mineral-y marine flavors and crunch of Fleur de Sel, Guerande and Camargue salts are great with seafood like grilled scallops or seared tuna but are also welcome on good bread smeared with really good butter.

Jim--

Your wife is a kindred spirit.

I tend to have a favorite-of-the-moment where I enjoy finding things that either show off the salt or things that the salt seems 'destined' to show off. I make a fair amount of appetizers and hors d'oeuvre--little bites where interesting salt can take a starring role--so I have fun with it. If I had to choose only one specialty salt though it would be Maldon. There is nothing quite like it and nothing better sprinkled on a sliced, perfectly ripe tomato.

Kevin,
Thanks for the info, I am definately intrigued and will have to study this and experiment along these lines.

Bob

I've just received from an Indian friend some black salt. It appears to be a grain similar in size to table salt but a dark grey color.

Anybody have experience with it? Use it as a seasoning or can I use it in a rub?

Kevin,

You're little salt review really got my interest. I'd like to try some different salts, you have a source for them? I checked amazon and they actually have a few different ones including maldon.

I've always found kosher salt to have a bit of chemically taste, i'd love to be able to use something different.

Originally posted by Steve Abrams:
I've just received from an Indian friend some black salt. It appears to be a grain similar in size to table salt but a dark grey color.

Anybody have experience with it? Use it as a seasoning or can I use it in a rub?
I'm familar with several black salts but not the one you describe. The Indian black salt that I know is pink or reddish-grey and because of its sulphurous taste would not be interchangeable with table salt. Taste it and see. If it tastes like table salt or mineral-y salt you could replace all or some of your current salt with it. If it is very distinctive you may want to use it on or in things where its taste would be highlighted. If it has a sulphurous taste (kind of like hard-boiled egg yolk) try it blended with minced lemon zest and minced cilantro and use it as seaoning for fruit, or mixed with cumin, mint, fennel, ginger, mango powder and sometimes ground hot pepper to make what is known as chat masala, a seasoning for grilled meat.

In ayurvedic medicine black salt is considered to be an aid to digestion and is frequently used mixed with another spice or two and blended with yogurt for lassi (yogurt 'milkshakes').

I've noticed a difference just between all the different Kosher salts I have. Picked up some really cheap boxes at Wal Mart made by North American Salt Company, and the crystals are HUGE! I had never seen this brand before, and this stuff needs to be made finer. I like to use freshly ground sea salt as well. Very subtle flavor, but of all reviews I've read on salt, Maldon Sea Salt at $11 a pound is always the winner.

I have not as of yet, but I am comparing apples to apples with Penzey's, and yes, they are by far quite a bit cheaper. I need some stuff, and think I will order from them. Thanks.

Anyone have experience using these guys?

Yes, I got my Portuguese saltcream salt from them and, I'm sure, some other stuff. I think a sister to one of the Penzeys runs The Spice House. Who has what and at what better price varies between the two.

They all get you on shipping, Spice house is $7.95 for orders under $20 for UPS ground. I'm sure quality is rougly the same, but they take Amex and Penzey's doesn't. I had also heard they were 'related'.

Originally posted by Norman Stein:
These guys have the best prices i've found so far...

http://www.thespicehouse.com/product/product_English-Maldon-Sea-Salt.php

Anyone have experience using these guys?

Norman,

My wife purchased her Maldon Sea Salt at the The Spice House and loves it. It is remarkable stuff - big flat flakes. When I mentioned to her that Kevin favors it, she immediately thought of a fresh tomato dish, too.

I don't know about shipping, but it is about 10 miles farther to drive there than to Penzey's.

Jim

Back