My Pulled Pork - Done well?

I made a pulled pork for my sone last week, and everything seemed to go quite well. I woke up once about 4 am and the temp was 212, which is a bit low. Of course, I immeadiately went back to sleep, and when I woke at 8 the temp was 240. So, I was hoping everything averaged out to 225. The meat temp never read higher than 163, but by 1 pm, I had to take it off. In any case, it looked great, and I took a snippet and it tasted great. So, was it really done, or could it have gone longer.

I've added two pictures to help.

Pulled Pork - 1
Pulled Pork-2

Thanks,
Mike

From the photos, it's apparent that the roast sliced easily, and should still be tasty prepared in that style. For pulled pork, however, a much higher final temp is typically necessary to actually pull the meat. If a bone-in roast, the bone should slip out effortlessly, and the meat should be easily shreddable or pulled apart into thumb-sized chunks, using forks or just your hands.

From what I've read on the 'net, it seems that there are some people who prefer their boston butts/shoulders cooked the way you did (lower final temp) for the express reason that they like to slice it. Certainly easier on the hands than pulling!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil R.:
From what I've read on the 'net, it seems that there are some people who prefer their boston butts/shoulders cooked the way you did (lower final temp) for the express reason that they like to slice it. Certainly easier on the hands than pulling! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The people I cook for like the end results better if I pull it off around 185 average. Then again, I don't know what the final temp gets to, because mine rest for 3-4 hours before we get a chance to eat them at work. Every Butt or Picnic I have taken to 195 or higher is to dry for my liking, and they pull just fine when I take them off @ 185 average.
I have started to sell pork by the pound, and pulling that @ 185 and letting it rest for an hour, then package it up. Leaves a little fat in there for when they reheat it. They prefer it that way also. Whatever sells works for me!

For friends at work, $7 a pound. I have read here where people are getting up to $10 a pound. I just charge them $7, and one guy that wanted 4 pounds, gave it to him for $6/pound.

I'm not into it for a living. As long as I have her fired up, may as well add some extra to pay for mine, and some left over $$ to buy chrome for my bike lol.
icon_biggrin.gif

Last time, I sold it by the pound, and sold sammies also to raise money for a Breast Cancer fundraiser ride I'm going to.

Deffinetly won't call it pulled pork. Its not. It is smoked pork butt, but calling it pulled pork is just wrong. You had another couple hours to go.

As long as it tasted good and wan't too tough thats what really maters.

I too cook to 195º if not more and have never had it come out dry. Unless your cooking at too low of a temp, below 225º then you shouldn't have a problem with it drying out. Theres just too much fat in those suckers to get dry.

More than a few people here have posted that they do butts below 225 and have great results. A lot depends on rest time. My butts sit in the cooler for a good 4, sometimes 5 hours. Most times, I buy 18 pound packs, so there is a good base of meat in there to keep the temps up for a longer hold.
People have posted their test results of temp increases of butts that have rested for 2-3 hours, and the inertnal temps have risen 10-13 degrees for some. That's why I don't do 195+. I like it, the people that buy it like it better that way, and dare I say they don't like the bark tough either.
icon_eek.gif
They like it soft and shredded on the sammie.
I've tried butts pulled from 187-205, and IMO, the ones pulled at 190 are more moist. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it lol.

Back