My New Method for Chicken

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
I've done chicken thighs and leg quarters using this method the last 3 cooks and I have to say it has been some of the best chicken I've done.

Light full chimney of charcoal and empty into WSM ring. Add 1 or 2 chunks of wood of your choice, remove the water pan, assemble the cooker, and place chicken, which you have previously prepped and rubbed, on top grate.

20 minutes skin side down; 20 minutes skin side up; sauce skin side of chicken and place it skin side down on grate; then sauce bone side and replace lid; cook skin side down for 10 minutes, then re-sauce bone side; turn; re-sauce skin side; replace lid and cook bone side down 10 minutes.

Check internal temps of chicken (it will be done) and enjoy.

Bruce, I'm sure you had the top vent wide open. Did you have the bottom vents wide open as well? Have been wondering how the WSM might cook using this method, have read where a lot of brick bbq's use the space between their coals and meat to get great results. Kind of a throw back to the old timers ways. Thanks for the post.

Dino,

Oh yeah, top vent wide open, my top vent is always open, even when I'm not cooking
icon_biggrin.gif
, kept the bottom vents wide open except for the last 5 minutes of the cook, but closing them didn't have much effect the chicken was done by that time. Kind of along the same lines of the Big Drum Smoker that's out there. Direct over coals but high enough to avoid flareups but still get a great flavor.

Bruce,
I've done the same. I was making the basic BBQ and the cooker just was not getting hot enough, so I took out the pan and temp rose nicely - taste is great, roasted, smokey flavor.
Don

"BINGO"
Just finished eating Chicken leg qtrs. Cooked with no water pan. Came out very good, Little different flavor, family enjoyed. Looks like I'l be trying Ribs next.
Happy Smoking !!!
John

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Brewer:
Turn, turn, sauce, turn, sauce, turn...sounds like dance steps. We'll call this one "The Bissonnette Chicken Dance". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Now Thats funny... Gonna have to give this 'dance' a try!

Back