My "new" charcoal starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
ACL3.jpg

ACL2.jpg

ACL1.jpg

i may be kinda negative here but at first blush i'm not liking that setup. do you move the chimney as soon as its lit ? like after a minute or so ? otherwise ya might get a big boom !

Agree with George.

After watching Alton Brown sear a large porterhouse under a chimney in 90 seconds, I'd be concerned how much heat that cannister is exposed to over 10~15 minutes.

don't give up, yer in the right direction. how about knocking off the closed end piece so you can stick the torch in and after 15 seconds or so you can take the canister out. this is assuming you just wanted to light the coals.

I am trying to think of how to work with the angle of the torch tip, and keeping the tank away from the heat/coals. Maybe keep the tank to the side, propped up at angle to the chimney.

I would like to cook the coals longer then just lighting them. (in some instances)

That, or I'll just keep using oiled paper towls.
icon_wink.gif

It seems to me that you are trying to re-invent the wheel.
How much more trouble would a couple of paper towels and some veg oil be?

I use something like this to start my chimney.

Fire Starters

It comes with 24 sticks but I don't use a whole stick so a box like this lasts forever. It comes out to about twenty cents per light. I believe I bought mine at Home Depot 10 years ago and I'm still using them. Granted, I sometimes use my performer or turkey fryer to start the chimney so your mileage may vary.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stuart Osterweil:
I am trying to think of how to work with the angle of the torch tip, and keeping the tank away from the heat/coals. Maybe keep the tank to the side, propped up at angle to the chimney.

I would like to cook the coals longer then just lighting them. (in some instances)

That, or I'll just keep using oiled paper towls.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try filling side A of the cinder block with gravel about half way. Put the loaded chimney on side B. The goal is then to put the torch on side A so that it sits on the gravel and blows the flame into a hole in the side of the chimney at the bottom coals.

Do NOT leave this unattended.

I always stick to my trusty fire source:

Lightning Nuggets

The 100-count box comes to 26¢ per light. I've used them for quite some time now, and I only need one per chimney.

Barret

Hit up harbor freight and buy a propane weed burner attachment. (about 20 bucks)

Hit the chimney from the top down with the big flame. After a minute or so, most of the coals will be flaming. Let them burn for another 8 minutes on their own and they should be good to go. (assuming you want ZOMG hot)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back