My 'New' 1981 Smokey Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timothy Hoffman

TVWBB All-Star
I went with my wife to drop off a fry for her Lions club in Pardeeville this morning. They had a garage sale going like everyone else in town. I immediately spotted a nice looking Smokey Joe sitting there. C date code on the vent. Was $3 too much?
icon_wink.gif

Needs a good cleaning and maybe a cast iron grate. I will also need to find a tamale pot to mod into a smoker.

120525a.jpg

Still some finish left on the handle. Note the C on the vent.

120525b.jpg

There is even some chrome left on the grate.

120525c.jpg

Very cool find Timothy! You might want to stick this thread in the portables. You may get more interest. I look forward to following the progress.

Awesome score!! I just scored a mint 1988 (K) Smokey Joe that I put pics up on this board. $3 is a steal even for a Weber SJ this old. I wish Weber didnt do away with the 3 vents on the bottom of the SJS's. It must be 1982 or 1983 that Weber redesigned the SJ's to the "80s version" legs and 1 bottom vent. Definantly changed by 1983.

OK Tim,
First, that's a great score!
Second, spill the beans. Where are you from that you were in Pardeeville?
And why didn't you stop in? I'm less than 1/2 mile off 22 so you basically went past my place!

BTW, I avoid Pardeeville like the plague on Memorial Day weekend.

My best friend has the same model older smokey joe with the three vents on the bottom. It cooks steaks on our fishing trips like you wouldn't believe. Much better airflow for searing than the modern smokey joes. You have yourself a winner. One small caution. The legs are a little wobbly so the Mini-WSM idea may work better with the modern smokey joe due to the more stabel legs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark "Harbormaster" Hodgson:
OK Tim,
First, that's a great score!
Second, spill the beans. Where are you from that you were in Pardeeville?
And why didn't you stop in? I'm less than 1/2 mile off 22 so you basically went past my place!

BTW, I avoid Pardeeville like the plague on Memorial Day weekend. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clark, I am in Montello. My wife is a P-ville lions Club member. We only came as far as Smith's corner (22&33) to drop off a fryer for the club. They had their garage sale going and I spotted this SJ sitting there. I also go past your house more often than you think. I work for CP and take those trains to Chicago and back.

We will have to get together one of these days.

Brett, This one has very solid legs, probably since it is in such nice condition.

Craig, That is the plan. I already have the tamale pot on the way and also a Craycort CI grate for steaks and burgers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back