My meat behaves badly

adam clyde

TVWBB Pro
I must be a really slow learner...

I think I am cracking the code on the temp maintenance on the WSM. Just when I do that, though, the meat began acting up. And I thought my 3 toddler daughters were misbehaved.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Anyhow, here's the scenario. Intrigued by the posts on Pastrami, I decided to smoke a corned beef. Thinking that I would only have to take it up to 160, I thought it would be a rather short cook - maybe 4-5 hours max, since it usually plateau's around that temp.

I was wrong. After 3 hours at the 240 to 250 range, it got stuck at 145 degrees. Two hours later, still at 145 exactly. That would be normal behavior for a plateau, right? But doesn't brisket usually plateau around 155-160? Then, after the 2 hours, the sucker started to go down in temp. At this point, my smoker was in the 220 to 230 range - still in the sweet spot. However, the meat went from 145 to 143 then dropped all the way to 139 within a half hour. What the heck? Worried about food safety and - even more - that I needed to get to bed at some point, I pulled the sucker, wrapped in foil and threw it in a 230 degree oven. It finished a few hours later (160 degrees), then I let it rest and put in the fridge so I could slice in the morning.

Why would meat drop that much temp when the smoker was keeping pretty regular temps? And why would it hit the plateau that low - in the low 140s? Does that have to do with it being cured?

I'm baffled. Any ideas?

Thanks - Adam

btw, I've tested my probes recently and both work very well.

Remember Adam...each cut of meat is going to act different...this isn't science.

The temp in the meat was dropping most likely because the fat was breaking down which will cause a drop in meat temp.

It would have turned out fine...foiling is also a good way to heat it up and get to the finish.

Be patient my man...you're doing fine!!
icon_cool.gif

The curing of that piece of meat undoubtedly changes the textures and properties, so that might be why it acts a little differently.

Remember....if it's tough, stick it in the crock pot with a bit of water overnight and you can totally revive it!

At any time during the smoke did you remove the lid? Curious on that.
I usually run my pit temp around 235. When i get to a plateau, give it a stir and open the vents a little to run through the plateau around 250. Then i let it gradually ease back into 230 for the remainder of the smoke.

My Pastrami took 3 1/2 hours to reach 140, 7 1/2 hours to reach 160, 9 hours to reach 180.

I concur with Greg, be patient.

Brian -

I was actually really good with the lid - didn't open it once until I ended up pulling it off to get some rest.

I guess what baffled me most was 1) it hit the plateau a full 15 degrees cooler than I would have thought (145 rather than 155-160); and 2) why the meat's temp dropped so drastically. I've heard of temp drops of a degree or two during the plateau, but is 6 degrees more drastic than normal?

By the way, despite the the foil job to finish, it turned out wonderful. I'll definitely be doing this again for pastrami - so much better than buying deli sandwiches.

- Adam

Adam, when was the last time you calibrated your thermometer? Temps. that meat hits a platau aren't cast in stone. Temp. drops like what you explained are normal just like Greg said. I did a pastrami this past weekend and after the meat hit 165*, I wrapped in foil and put it back on the WSM until it hit 190*. It was tender and moist and I'm enjoying sandwiches all week with it. Can't be in a rush with these things!

Nick -

My thermos are accurate to about 2-3 degrees. I checked before and after this cook.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think next time I'll cook more like a normal brisket - foiling and taking up to 190 or so.

Thanks!

Back