My knobs and control panel get really hot!!! Is this normal?

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
My personal grill is a Silver B Premium which is the perfect grill for what I do. I have Weber burners......Weber bars.........Weber grates......Weber Weber Weber............but I notice when I get the grill rollin at say 400 to 550 ish my knobs and control panel get really hot is this normal? I cant say I have noticed this with my flippers but then again I dont spend much time with a flipper.

They will get hot under normal conditions. More so in high ambient temps. I certainly would not touch my control panel when the grill is cranking along

My wife's Spirit does not get hot to the touch on the control panel side. Even at 600F.

It uses the same tubes as the Genesis B/C.

Better airflow maybe?

IMG_0244.JPG

I can't really say for sure, but I have never noticed my knobs being anything more than warm when I touch them on my grill after it heats up fully. I have never had an "uncomfortable" encounter with my control panel either. I would run it at night some time and just make sure there is nothing going on around the manifold area, particularly where the valves meet the burners. Then check to make sure you are not seeing actual flames pushing out through the burner holes in the cook box.
I have torn down several grills with melted knobs. Those things are made out of heat resistant material and won't melt from normal heat radiation from a normally functioning grill. Obviously there was some kind of uncontrolled fire on the grill. Just make sure your grill is not heading that direction.

If it hasn't been cleaned in a while, you might want to start there.

Thanks for the suggestions........I would say the knobs are abnormally hot but that said they are a modern knob...kind of thin and they are black if that makes any difference. I mean I can easily grab them and make adjustments......but.......I will have to compare my home grill to the next flipper of same vintage. My grill is extremely clean. Will fire her up tonight and look up and under for anything unusual. I was thinking it is my 16 gauge bars keeping the heat down low in the box.

Doesn't anybody here have a thermo gun besides me? The lid handle will get close to 150F, from being so close to the grill.

Yah, I bought it mostly to monitor the temp on my camper RV hubs when I took a 3500 mile round trip with it. But, I have used it several other times as well. Testing for locked up brakes and other automotive uses. I played with it on my grill a couple years back but just for fun really. It probably would be good to see just how hot certain parts of the grill are getting under certain conditions though.

Next time you measure temperature by feel, do it with dry hands, then wet your hands real good and then try it.

Yep, that method works great for testing if a wire is live or not too.
t0sG1c6.jpg

Ok I fired up the ole Silver B and got her roarin' to 550 ish one her way to 600 when I broke out my thermal thingamabob.......
Ignitor knob was 163 degrees......middle knob was 180 degrees........metal control panel was 267 degrees 2" from cook box. No flames escaping cook box in the manifold area.....will load pics.
Note my knobs are like most......I took the temps not from the tip top of the knob but from the flat ledge of the knob if that makes any sense.

pics.....

Attachments

• 20201010_201349.jpg
    20201010_201349.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20201010_201341.jpg
    20201010_201341.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 4
  • 20201010_201357.jpg
    20201010_201357.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 4
I'm not surprised by any of your readings. They seem pretty normal. Measure the lid handle and see what you get.

I heard NASA was lookin for a few good men........I nominate you!
I did take the temp of the handle and it was so low it wasnt worth reporting. Glad to hear the other temps seem normal.
Since I have your attention......
Random question....
I am thinking that an el cheapo regulator with the 11blah blah blah # that we are supposed to be using will get a grill a bit hotter then an original Weber regulator.....Do you feel the same way?

Jim, the typical Weber burner rating is for LPG pressure of 10.5" blah blah blah, and the OEM regulator could have been set for that same blah blah blah, but then you replace it with a regulator that is set for 11" blah blah blah, yeah, it's going to make a noticeable difference...it's like a 5% difference in blah blah blah.

Last edited:
Now that was funny..........10 points sir!
So if I wanted a lil more umph outta my ole Silver B then toss on a China special and I am good to go!

Or throw on an adjustable regulator and don't tell anybody about it. You put about 20 PSI on that baby and you will light up the whole neighborhood...for about 30 seconds...

Or throw on an adjustable regulator and don't tell anybody about it. You put about 20 PSI on that baby and you will light up the whole neighborhood...for about 30 seconds...
You know there are some that will be dumb enough to follow that advice?

Back