My Genesis gold wouldn't run at high setting yesterday.

Peter Condit

TVWBB Member
Yesterday afternoon I started it up. Had worked fine for a few steaks a few days ago.

It started OK, but with all three burners turned to high, it barely put out enough flame to stay lit. I hit the outside of the burner tubes with a wire brush which seemded to help a bit, but not much.

It was acting like an almost empty tank, but the tank seems about half full. I opened and closed the tank valve a few times, no change.
Was trying to do a turkey on the rotisserie. After about an hour, I gave up and fired up the oven.

Went out this morning and started it and it seems to be working fine.

***????

Could I have a flakey regulator?

Temps both days 50-60s.

Could be a flakey regulator. But also could be other issues as well. If you have one or more of your grill valves open when you open your LP tank, the regulator can see that as a sudden unchecked flow of gas and trip the leak safety feature and shut down flow. Or simply opening the tank real fast can do the same thing even if the valves are closed. If it happens again, turn off all valves, turn off the tank, remove the LP hose and regulator from the tank, wait about 10 to 15 seconds and reattach the hose to the tank. Now, with all burners off, sloooowly turn the tank on until you got it about 1/4 of the way open, then open it fully. Now turn on the first burner and ignite it. Then turn on the rest of them.
Every time you start your grill, make sure the valves are off before you open the tank and then open it slowly and hopefully that will solve the problem. If not, try a different tank. If that doesn't work, then you should probably look at replacing the hose/regulator.

t0sG1c6.jpg

Back