My free redhead SS performer that I need to finish up

I just picked up a green SS Performer today for free. Super good shape. Spent the morning cleaning the kettle and exterior. Came with a cover and it looks like it's been covered it's entire life. Next step is to check the tank and igniter.

Attachments

• IMG_4296.jpg
    IMG_4296.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4297.jpg
    IMG_4297.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4298.jpg
    IMG_4298.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 21
I just picked up a green SS Performer today for free. Super good shape. Spent the morning cleaning the kettle and exterior. Came with a cover and it looks like it's been covered it's entire life. Next step is to check the tank and igniter.
Don't throw out those charcoal baskets. They are built much better than the newer style ones. Just clean them up a little and burn some charcoal in them.

The Weber cover #7174 fits the SSP. They no longer make the original cover for this grill.
The # 7174 also has room in case you want to upgrade the lid bale to the newer style, part # 65188. The bigger lid bale is nice because it lets the lid sit straight up instead of leaning into the grill. It bolts right up, no drilling needed.

Don't throw out those charcoal baskets. They are built much better than the newer style ones. Just clean them up a little and burn some charcoal in them.

The Weber cover #7174 fits the SSP. They no longer make the original cover for this grill.
The # 7174 also has room in case you want to upgrade the lid bale to the newer style, part # 65188. The bigger lid bale is nice because it lets the lid sit straight up instead of leaning into the grill. It bolts right up, no drilling needed.

I used the wire style baskets but honestly was disappointed. It seemed like the heat dissipated sideways more than I liked since they are obviously more open. I don't feel like I got the same intensity of heat for my sear as I get from the new style baskets. Maybe I'll give them another shot.

I wire brushed the charcoal baskets today. Still in good shape and I plan on using them. I contacted Suburban Propane today regarding re-certifying the 5 lbs tank. They are currently closed due to COVID, but hope to re-open on Monday, June 8. He said that it will be $25 to renew the tank + propane. Gonna do it. Seems easier than converting to 1 lbs camping tanks + all the other parts. Good info on the Weber cover and new performer lid bale. All ideas to consider. Thanks!

I wire brushed the charcoal baskets today. Still in good shape and I plan on using them. I contacted Suburban Propane today regarding re-certifying the 5 lbs tank. They are currently closed due to COVID, but hope to re-open on Monday, June 8. He said that it will be $25 to renew the tank + propane. Gonna do it. Seems easier than converting to 1 lbs camping tanks + all the other parts. Good info on the Weber cover and new performer lid bale. All ideas to consider. Thanks!

I get my propane from a place that is a gas station, with propane service, and a sketchy RV park behind it. He just hooked up my tank and filled it up. Lol. He didn't seem to concerned about the cert date. They charged me $5 to fill it too.

So, if you don't want to wait you might just find you a sketchy place to get it filled. Ha

I get my propane from a place that is a gas station, with propane service, and a sketchy RV park behind it. He just hooked up my tank and filled it up. Lol. He didn't seem to concerned about the cert date. They charged me $5 to fill it too.

So, if you don't want to wait you might just find you a sketchy place to get it filled. Ha
I used to be able to do that with my 20lbs tanks. Not anymore. We have a few that will refill, but they check the dates. Just do the swap out at Lowes. About once a year, Lowes will have a sale for $15 for a swap out. Normally, $19.99.

Back