My first Salmon Also!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd R.

TVWBB Super Fan
Well, I am using my WSM for the first time, and I am also using salmon. I am following the Cardogs recipe as close as I can. I was not able to find savory after visiting 5 stores, so I ended up using Thyme instead. I am also using cherry rather than alder. I just put the fish on! This site is great. My wife is happy that my mid-life crises appears to be learning to BBQ!
Thanks for all the helpful hints.

You can substitute thyme-- which is stronger-- or combine thyme with a pinch of sage or mint.

The salmon came out great. My filet was just over 2 pounds. It smoked for 1 hour and 10 minutes at an average temp of about 230. I pulled it when it reached 145 and it was very moist with great flavor. Everyone was happy with the first effort. I dont think I waited long enough after assembling the WSM to let the temp stabilize before putting the fish on, I will need to work on my patience with this!
Thanks again for all the tips.

I never wait for temps to stabilize after assembling the cooker. I put the meat on and let it climb up to where I want. Then I level it off.
Always works out for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back