My first Pork Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Cluck

TVWBB Fan
I'd planned on doing a chuck roll initially, but I've already got a good amount of this TexasBBQ Rub #1 left so I went with the butt instead. Here are a few images that I've taken so far. Right now it's in the fridge (slathered with mustard and #1 rub) until I start the cook later this evening.

Dave's 1st Pork Butt

More photos to come..

~Dave

Forgot that.. it's 9.93 lbs. Since I'm just starting out smoking I'm using hickory alone on my first cuts (when appropriate) so that I can get a baseline idea of what each wood has to offer. After that I'll switch/mix to see what it is that rows my boat.

~Dave

One last detail is that I'm using 2/3 kingsford and 1/3 lump - lump on top. Ran out of Kingsford and I'm too lazy to drag my butt back to the store for a 3rd time today.. I'll be starting this about 8 or 9 this evening.

~Dave

Dave, Nothing wrong with using lump. I use it 90 % of the time. Let us know how the cook goes. Good luck
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

I hear ya Bryan. I plan to make the move over to lump later when I grow up to be a competent Q'er. For now I'd like to get a feel for Kingsford for control comparison.

~Dave

Come on Bryan...lets here your CR pitch. You know you wanna.......whens the last time you did one? Better yet...whats the longest you've gone without smoking a CR? It's all good. Have never done one myself. Suppose I should give it a shot though.

Damn.. my ET-73 doesn't reach here upstairs. Time to set up my digital video camera to snap shots every 10 seconds.
icon_smile.gif

~Dave

You know it, Dale.
icon_wink.gif

And the real pup is doing fine waiting for me to start pulling the butt. After last week's brisket she knows what the WSM is for now.
icon_smile.gif

IMG_1253_web.jpg

~Dave

Dave,

Thats a nice looking but..........no not on the dog LOL...on da WSM. Man I'm bored....working weekends sucks.

Well this was an interesting session. A few issues with maintaining temperature with the lump reared their head butt in the end it came out alright.

The end result was ever so tender, the rub was great, it was suprisingly easy to pull and there wasn't nearly as much waste in fat or shrinkage as I'd expected. The almost 10 lbs ended up being close to seven pounds after all was said and done. Much better ratio than the brisket yield last week.

However, I've discovered that I'm just not that much of a pulled pork fan as I thought I was. I'd take chopped brisket point over it any day of the week. In my mind it almost required a sauce (except for the exterior bark portions), whereas I can do chopped brisket straight up without a chaser.
icon_wink.gif
I guess my roots are strong..

~Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Cluck:
whereas I can do chopped brisket straight up without a chaser.
icon_wink.gif
I guess my roots are strong.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me thinks its an incurable Texas thing...
icon_wink.gif

You're likely correct. For me it's always been back ribs, brisket and a good smoked sausage. I smoked this butt just to see if perhaps I'd find something in it that I'd missed when I occasionally order the offerings we have around here.

~Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back