My first Overnight Brisket-Help

M D Baldwin

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a beautiful 7 3/4 trimmed brisket I got from my meat guy, organic, free range. I put my wet rub on it last evening and plan to start it tonight about 8-9PM and finish it about 9 AM. I don't plan of finishing it in the oven, but on the smoker and foil it until serving.
I plan to get up about 3AM for a check and to turn the brisket. Anything else I need to do?
Thanks

Just sliced my beginner's try at brisket. Turned out better than I expected. Started with a couple of trimmed 6 pounders at 8 last night, maintained 220 - 245 until 07:40 this morning, wrapped in foil at that time with internal temps at 188. I think if you just maintain steady temps around 220 to 240, in low 70 degrees outside weather you will enjoy great taste. The cut of meat itself has a LOT to do with the moistness and when they reach the right internal temps. Good luck and Happy Smoke Day!

M D--

You might want to consider foiling at or just prior to plateau. It's hard to say not having seen your brisket but compare it to 'regular' brisket. The briskets I get from range cattle are very lean. I've found foiling ~160 helpful, and switching to or maintaining a very slow temp (depending on where I started it) so that collected juices don't boil helpful as well.

Let us know how it goes,

Guys,
Thanks for the help. I have done a LOT of Briskets, but not an overnighter. As I mentioned, I am very fortunate to get really high quality meat from my butcher. Yesterday, he showed me the brisket and trimmed it to my specs. I plan on putting it on about 8-9PM w/ some hickery and apple. But now I need to get working on some BBQ chicken for tonight.

OK, Final Word-
WOW. Put it on about 9PM, bottom vents were set at 50% temp was 230. I woke up about 2AM and checked-temp was 240, turned the meat and went back to bed. Got up about 6:30AM, top temp was 240, meat temp was 170. I left it on for about 1/2 hours and prepared the foil. I brushed on some apple juice, wrapped it and into the cooler. OK, I had to take a bite-OMG! Nice ring and flavor. My said it was my best brisket.
Friends coming over for dinner about 4, so maybe a little reheating and dinner is served.
There are plenty of coals left, so I threw a small slab of baby back for a few hours. Thanks for the hand holding folks.

Back