My First Corn Beef Brisket Smoke

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi everyone,

This past Saturday I finally got a chance to smoked a corn beef brisket. The corn beef brisket weigh in at 12lbs. Finally cooking time was 12 hours and cooking temp was at 235-250 degrees. Internal temp was 190 degrees. I cooked the corn beef fat side down and place a crap load of bacon on the other side. I put bacon on to prevent it from drying out. If I have to do it again I would not put any bacon during the begining of the cook. The bacon absorbed most of the smoke of the wood. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Also I used sand for the first time. I love that there is no messy clean up. My family and friends enjoyed the corn beef and I enjoyed the compliments from them. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I want to thank everyone on this forum for all your help. This website is the reason why I brought 2 WSM. And yes I purchased the WSM thru this web site. Here are some pictures of the cook.
smoker01.jpg

smoker02.jpg

smoker03.jpg

smoker04.jpg

smoker05.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Lax:
[qb] It Looks fantastic Richard, good job! [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks Doug. I think my next project will be some Boston Butts.

Man - does that look good.
I have not tried a brisket yet and have a few questions.
Is there a difference between a brisket and a corned beef brisket?
The briskets I have seen in the store are pretty thin ie: 2-3 inches max thickness. Do they really take 8-10 hours to cook? It would seem they would be dried out. I guess thats the reason for the bacon.
Richard - when you do next time, when would you put the bacon on?
Thanks

Hi Jim the diff is that the corned beef has been cured for a long time ....the cook times differ as well as the finishing temp . Chris has an excellent article about Pastrami ( which is smoked corned beef with Black Pepper and cardamon.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim P:
[qb] Man - does that look good.
I have not tried a brisket yet and have a few questions.
Is there a difference between a brisket and a corned beef brisket?
The briskets I have seen in the store are pretty thin ie: 2-3 inches max thickness. Do they really take 8-10 hours to cook? It would seem they would be dried out. I guess thats the reason for the bacon.
Richard - when you do next time, when would you put the bacon on?
Thanks [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim, The reason I put the bacon on was because I was afraid it would dry out. This Corn Beef was thick eoungh to prevent it from happening. Also the bacon absorbed all the smoke flavor and did not let the rub and mustard develop the bark I want. If I had to add bacon to the Corn Beef I would add it later on during the smoke. This would allow the Corn Beef to absorb the smoke.

I have read several post where people stated that the meat absorbs the smoke within the first several hours. After that it does not absorb any smoke because the meat fibers tighten up. Does everyone agree with that statement?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Hi Jim the diff is that the corned beef has been cured for a long time ....the cook times differ as well as the finishing temp . <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Doug L, which do you recommend for a first try? I also would assume there is a fairly significant difference in taste. Correct?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Edvik:
[qb] Richard,

That looks really good. What did you use for a rub? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jeff, It's my own rub I made from reading Paul Kirk's book. I believe the book is list on the shopping page on this site.

Jim P-
I'm getting ready to do a packer cut brisket tonight. It's a little over 11bs and will bbq away for a good 15-16hrs. I've learned in the past that you typically don't want to cook it much past 190 because the point will start to dry on up. Never seen a full corn beef brisket (though I've seen just the point or just the flat). You ought to try brisket some time. If done right they are dynomite.

As for the whole smoke absorption idea, I got no clue. I'm just try to get as much smoke flavor in there as possible. Here lately it my product seems to be lacking in smoke flavor. I might mix it up tonight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian E:
[qb]I've learned in the past that you typically don't want to cook it much past 190 because the point will start to dry on up.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It's the flat that's in danger. You can take the point up that high and higher-- it has the higher fat content.

Pre-cured, ready-to-cook commercial corned beef typically offered is the flat only.

Traditional corned beef is typically not smoke-cooked, but when coated with coriander and cracked pepper and smoke-cooked becomes pastrami.

My bad! I wasn't typing what I was thinking. Yes, the flat is obviously the portion that you have to worry about. In the 9 or so briskets that I've done, I've had one flat turn out just awesome, one or two flats turn out okay, and the rest were not to my liking. The point usually saves the day when the flat doesn't turn out. I was going to start bbq'n just flats but as soon as I decided that, the local wally supercenter decided not to stock them. Just my luck. In the end, I pay just as much for the whole brisket as I would've paid for the flat.

Jim-
A "packer cut" brisket is just the whole brisket (point and flat) that has not been trimmed of the fat. They will range from a small 8lbs to over 15/16lbs. The last batch that I got here in Ohio was choice and was $1.18lb. You'll have to trim a good portion of the fat off of the point end (on one side there will be a deep cavity of fat that you'll want to trim quite a bit of but just don't trim it all off). Brisket will definately take a good while to cook so be prepared to bbq 15+hrs depending on the size of the brisket. I did a 12.7lber last night and was able to get it on the top grate (Just had to squeeze/crunch it together at the ends to fit - doesn't hurt it because it will shrink during the first part of the cook and while fit just fine).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back