My First challange !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bren H

TVWBB Fan
Started a late smoke today at 5pm, put on 3 BRITU ribs and have just added corn on the cob and baked beans, its 8.30pm now and its down to 41F outside with a strong breeze, the WSM was holding a nice 225F for the first 3 hours but I'm having trouble getting the tepmreture up above 250F, I've tryed leaving the hatch open a couple of inches and it seems to be getting a burn on hopefully it will stay that way. I'm probably the only one smokin tonight but and advice appreciated.

Fire up some charcoal and fling it in there.

I had similar problems the other weekend when I did BRITU ribs. The Kingsford had ashed up so much the bottom pan was almost full. It was covering part of the vents. Gave one of the legs a whack to knock down the ash but that didn't help much.

If you added beans and corn to the WSM after you got your temps up (am I correct in this?) it will cause a temp drop due to the addition. You'd have to add lit coals or wait for the new bulk to quit absorbing the heat.

LIke the first folks said...give a kick.. make sure all the vents are open.. and then if you have to...you can always add some lit coals....maybe 5-10...just monitor the temp going up.......Remember...your also cooking in 40 deg weather.....How much did you start with ect... i think adding a few at a time will be a good idea...

Thanks for the reply. I started with two chimneys full of lump one was lit and the unlit one put ontop, I heated the beans to near boiling before I addeed them, in the end I added some more lump and left the hatch open a bit to increase the tempreture.After 5 hours I took the lot off and it was perfect, the meat pulled clean off the bones. I never had ribs as good as these before and this is a whole new experience for us here in Ireland, real Q at last even if the weather was bad we had success and the few beers on the side made it taste even better.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bren Hickey:
I never had ribs as good as these before and this is a whole new experience for us here in Ireland, real Q at last even if the weather was bad we had success and the few beers on the side made it taste even better. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bren, a few beers on the side is a requirement. A homage to the Barbecue Gods, if you will. What were you drinking?

If you say Budweiser... I'm coming over there and it's going to look like the fight scene in "The Quite Man". Just kidding.

It wasn't Bud this time, we were sippin bottles of Rolling Rock and they went well with the rib's especially when chilled. I'm a Guinness man myself but I prefer beer when eating Q.

Guinness... that's "Brilliant!"

Yeah, I saw you were drinking Rolling Rock. I just never let a chance to "rip off" the Guinness ads go by.

Guinness guy here too.

Morgan,
I always thought that also. But I've read alot lately that says that it is actually very low in calories and has many health benefits. Contains anti-oxidents and other stuff just like red wine. I wish I had the article here, but I am working in a different office today and it's pinned to the wall at the other one.

Any way, #2 on my list is Boddington's Pub Ale. At least from what I can get on draft in the bars/pubs here.

Kevin, No windscreen set this time but I put the WSM in a sheltered corner, I hope to have a permenent shelter built soon that will keep the weather from getting at the WSM. Just going to try post a photo of R2 straight out of the box.photo
It's my first time to try put a link to a URL hope it works.

Bren, I know how you feel about Q and beer my friend. And its even better when the Q and beer are made at home!. If you can get your hands on a couple of Pork Butts, you wont be sorry. Try the mustard slathered recipe. Life is good!
DP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bren Hickey:
I might try that again, if I can't figure it out maybee someone could help.http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=3228380093 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you add: Photo[/URL] after the last closing bracket in your first attempt, you will have a link to that URL labeled "Photo". Little folder with eraser icon at bottom right lets you edit your own posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back