My first butt

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Advice to the new kids on the block - listen to Chris and keep the vents closed for pork butt when starting out, I hit 302 at one point (vents slightly open)and the lowest I saw was 257 (closed). My smoker is still not broken in so I am sure that had something to do with it.

The pulled pork was great! - I did sandwiches with slaw on top and everbody was most happy.

I used the mustard rub concept Chris has on the site, and slaw and finishing sauce from The Lexington Collection web site.

Best wishes to the board,
Steve

Way to go NJ Steve! I cooked my 6th-ever butt on Monday and what I learned after all those tries was to wait wait wait, until the internal hits 180. The meat really changes texture after 170 and I finally got what I was looking for: Heaven for 99 cents a pound!

BTW: A friend stopped by to check out my wsm early on in the cook. An electric-smoker friend and I have been trying to sway him into our respective camps. He ordered a wsm that afternoon! ...without even sampling the great pork later on.

Hi there Steve. This is what I've learned here. I just can't remember who posted this but it turned out very useful. Using the minion method, someone suggested to close all vents when the temp hits 170. I've done this on every cook since then. With patience and a bit of tinkering with the vents, you'll hit the 225-240 mark (lid temp) and it will stabilize there for 5-6hrs without having to open your events again. Works for me.

Thanks for the feedback. Next time I am going to do two large butts - pull the meat, freeze some and give the rest to a good friend, he and his family went nuts with what I gave them last time.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back