My first Butt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
I just picked up 2 real nice pork butts at Costco, $.89/lb total weight 13.92lb. One is a little larger, I'm figuring about6.5 to 7lbs. It currently resides in my refrigerator slathered with French's and covered with dry Rub until tomorrow morning at 5am. Let you know how it comes out.

I think you are a little short in figuring your time. I would guess they will be 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound.

I did 4 last night. They were about the same size. Put on about 9:30pm, used modified minion method. This morning at 7:30am the upper lid thermo was about 225. I opened up two of the lower vents to full and temp slowly went up to about 250. They were hitting between 195-200 internal about 9:00am. I pulled them and let them sit for 1/2 hour. All done pulling them and ended up with with nice batch. Have four small aluminum pans full and one large 1/2 pan full. Will keep on in fridge and freezing the rest for poker party next week.

Love overnighters with butts and brisket!!!!!

Sunny and mid 60's in Phoenix today, maybe pulled pork samach and beer on patio for lunch and then hit the pool this afternoon. How's weather up north?

Dennis,

When I said 6.5 to 7 earlier I meant pounds for the larger roast. I'm figuring 2 hours per pound and I'm starting at 4:30am.

As far as the weather up north...it's not too bad. Up to 37 on Saturday and calling for 43 Sunday, slight chance of flurries at night. For the end of December, I'll take it. Of course...beer by the pool with BBQ pork samich sounds much better. Talk to you in between dips in the pool to cool off or when rehydrating yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back