My First Brisket is on!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Just got the WSM a couple weeks ago, did pork tenderloin last weekend - today I'm stepping up to a brisket!

I've promised my 'newly parented' friends some scrumptious brisket so they have some good eats around when they don't have time to cook, here's hoping it turns out!

Mmmm... brisket! If you need a judge for the finished product I'd be more than happy to catch the next flight. Gimme about 5 1/2 hours! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Finished up the brisket and it turned out pretty well. The look of the brisket was fantastic, used about the right amount of chips and the flavor was excellent - it was also extremely moist.

I did have to pull it from the smoker prematurely with the internal temp at 160 and put it in the oven for about an hour at 350. I know this breaks many cardinal rules, but my wife didn't want to be eating at 10:00 - which brings me to my next issue / question.

I had the brisket (4.5 lbs.) on the smoker for almost 7 hours at what I thought was 225-250, but I'm starting to think that my thermometer (genesis therm through top vent w/cork) is not correct. I noticed on my pork tenderloin last weekend the meat took much longer than what the expected time was - and that happened again with the brisket.

After pulling the brisket (the wsm was measuring 250 at the time) I put my hand in the side door and held it there without it getting too hot - so I'm assuming I've got a bad thermometer.

I just ordered an ET-73, so hopefully that problem will be solved.

Next up, BRITU two weeks from today (weather permitting).

Here's some pics of the smoke:
Brisket

Todd,
Stick your thermometer in boiling water and see what it registers. This should give you some idea of how far your thermometer is off.

Appearance of your finished product is great, but WOW you sure cut it a lot thicker then we do here in Texas. That a regional thing?

Hey Todd brisket looks great. Wish my smoker was on grass not a snow mound.
Jason the slice should be perfect for texas. Made a visiti to Dallas a few years ago and had the best BBQ at Sonny Bryans. Everything I had was large very large...(lol) More cookin on the way...

That cut was a little thicker than my ideal cut /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif - I started thinning it the further I cut in. I guess I had first brisket jitters!

You guys call that thick? Heck, if it's cooked just right then slicing it any thinner and it'd fall apart! Nice job on your first brisket Todd. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the tip Russ. I just put both my thermometers in boiling water. The thermometer I was using to gauge the temp of the WSM showed 230, and the therm I was measuring the internal temp of the meat showed a little over 200.

So apparently my WSM was probably running 20 degrees cooler then what I thought it was, and the temp of the meat was probably 5-10 degrees higher then what I was measuring.

Lesson learned, looking forward to the new smoking thermometer for my next smoke!

A good thermometer is crucial when first starting out. There are a few guys out there that just "know" when it's done without ever using one. Unfortunately I'm not one of them. Spend a few extra bucks and buy something decent - here's a good site to get you started.

http://www.teltru.com/barbecue.asp

Sonny Bryan's is pretty good. As for thickness, maybe the picture fooled me but it sure looked thicker than I'm accustomed to here. Nothing wrong with that, I'm sure plenty of people love it like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back