My first born brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
Will be giving brisket a go this weekend and have a few questions despite perusing the 95 pages of posts containing the word brisket.

Whats everyones 2 cents on marinades? Keep in mind that Im not wild about worcestershire sauce flavor in a marinade. I could use the defatted stock I made from the bones of a beer butt chicken a few weeks back.

Its 6.25 lbs so Im figuring on at least 9 hours with my rub at 220-235, pulling it at 190, double foil and in the cooler for an hour or two. Would like to eat around 5 or 6 so Im figuring on firing the WSM around 5am.

Jim, I don't marinade brisket. I rub it with some Worchestershire sauce and then with #2 rub from Texas BBQ. I take mine to 190-195 and then to the cooler.

As Jim Minion stated, let it rest for at least 2 hours, 4 hours is ideal. He is right!!! I follow this method to the letter(or number)and the meat is soooooooooo tender. So tender that my father-in-law has requested me to make him one this weekend and he is paying me to do it! He said the meat was the most tender stuff he has ever had!! He doesn't give compliments so that's saying something!!

Good Luck!

Jim, your timing sounds about right. I don't marinate brisket, but I do slather it with cheap yellow mustard before applying the rub de jour. The mustard taste disappears, and it works as a glue to keep your rub from falling off the meat. Helps to create a very flavorful bark. My grandmother detests mustard, and she has never realized that every time she eats my barbecue she's eating a bit of mustard.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

I don't marinate brisket either. I like to use a rub that has no sugar or not much, I like to slather it with mustard first too. I usually pull when it hits 190 and wrap with foil for a couple hours.

I used a horshradish mustard on mine with rub I made that was hungarian HOT paprika, garlic powder, salt, white pepper, a dried horseradish powder I found at a specialty shop and onion powder. Came out pretty dang good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back