My experience with Kingsford

I do all of my long low & slow cooks in the WSM with K. Absolutely the best! When doing a shorter cook,I might use lump if I have some,but I'm not running down to the store to get lump when I've got K in the garage.
I do try to do my charcoal grilling with lump,but like I said,I'm not running to get lump when I've got K!

I use what I can get my hands on. Pretty much all the same to me and K is the cheapest.

I love KB. When I came back to charcoal grilling from gas (and electric smoking...bluck!), I bought into charcoal snobbery and only used lump in my grill. This accomplished two things: I grilled more often and I BURNED through bags of fuel. I did everything with lump, and don't have anything against it.

Then I got seriously into 'Q and it occurred to me that I use fuel by volume and not weight. Briquettes packed more burnable fuel into a standardized space. So I picked up some K Comp and loved it. When a major sale on KB came along, I figured I'd try it out.

It lights crazy fast in a chimney, turns up or down on a time, and costs $.20/lb. It smells weird when you light it, but not when it's hot. It grills. It smokes. It's available everywhere, and I've never gotten a bag full of tiny lump-shards.

Frankly, I think it has gotten a pretty bad rap. Too many people use it and cook too well for there to be any serious truth to the K bashers.

Add me to the list of those that Cooks on the grills 3+ times a week. I will take advantage of the KBlue deals every chance I get. 2 bags for 7.98 you can't beat. I also use it heavily with the WSM as my 18.5" will hold an awesome temp for long periods of time with it. Very consistent.

kingsford is consistent. it's cheap. and it's available pretty much everywhere.

does it work? absolutely.

i stock up when its cheap and i use it in my smoker.

But for grilling i try to stay away from it.
Too much ash. Doesn't burn very hot, or very long.

I have about 220 lb of K left from the sales. I also have 150+ lb of Stubbs from one of the few Lowe's sales I've seen.

I much prefer the Stubbs. Aside from the ash, smell, and other known issues with K, I find Stubbs does much better when you reuse it. And, I don't have to double check my chimney for stuck lit coals like I do with K. Still, I use K. Why?

There is an old joke about a conversation in a bar:
Man: Will you sleep with me for $100,000,000?
Woman: Yes.
Man: How about $10?
Woman: What kind of girl do you think I am?
Man: We've already established that. We're just haggling about the price.

Here's one heard over and over in Home Depot:
K: Will you use me in your grill for $.20/lb? Me: Yes, I'm just a charcoal ***** like the rest.

I am so glad I gave this try after all the noise out there. I have been using it every way. Direct, indirect and minion. No differenc. I sure hope my stock pile carries me through the winter until Memorial Day sales, but I have a feeling it won't.
icon_smile.gif

When you talk about the best deal for charcoal out there, I really hit the jackpot over Labor Day Weekend.

Lowes was having the 2-20 pound bag sale for $7.97. I ordered 8 units (16 bags) online which came up to $63.76 with $10 off for online pickup orders over $50. This put me out $53.76 for 320 Lbs. of charcoal, but wait, it gets better.

When I went to pickup the charcoal my order was not ready and took an additional 30 minutes in excess of the 20 minute guarantee. So I asked the manager what happens when your order takes longer than 20 minutes to fill, he then gave me a $20 gift card which brings my net price for 320 lbs. of charcoal to $33.76 or approximately 10 cents per pound!!!

Back