My 1st smoke - 3 rolled racks of BB's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean M.

TVWBB Fan
Completed my 1st smoke and was extremely satisfied with the results. Everybody claimed that it/they were the best ribs they ever had. Sure wish I could try some of yours to compare a rookies vs. a veterans.

Was blown away at the quality and amount of meat on the "Swift" brand of racks that I purchased from Costco - see image below.

Method
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>BRITU rub
<LI>3 hours before flipping/rotating, then 1 hour to finish
[/list]

Variations<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>3 chunks of Hickory vs. Oak
<LI>3 parts Iron Works Regular to 1 part Iron Works Spicy vs. KC & Honey
[/list]

As people have mentioned, my new WSM burned hotter. Pictures and details/logs of my smoke can be found at: www.manzanares.org/Smoke1.htm

Appreciate any tips/comments/feedback.

~ Sean

Rib.JPG

I noticed that you are from San Diego. Steve Hilmer and I get together for some outdoor BBQs with other San Diegans. Everyone chips in with side dishes and we meet at local parks. Perhaps we can do an iron chef BBQ battle between you, Steve and I? Email me if you want to know when we will have another BBQ outing.

Hey Sean... Ribs looked good... I checked out your web page and was curious about the ammount of wood you used in those 1st couple of pics...

I just did my 1st smoke over the weekend, 1 Rack of Spare and 1 Rack of Babys, and I used about 1/4 to 1/3 of the ammount of wood you have there...and more than other friends recommed I use...

Did that seem about right to you???

Wade

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wade Leishman:
[qb] Hey Sean... Ribs looked good... I checked out your web page and was curious about the ammount of wood you used in those 1st couple of pics...
Wade [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I saw the picture with all of that wood loaded into the WSM as well. I use WAY less wood than that. 2-3 fist sized chunks makes the ribs plenty smokey for my family. I guess we all have different preferences.

Good feedback about the wood. I patterned my 'load' off of the picture on the BRITU page(http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html.

As you can see, I had 3 large+ chunks (3:00, 5:00 and 7:00 clocked in the picture). The 8:00 and 1:00 pieces were tiny and together would still be small. So I thought I compensated correctly.

The result was a tad heavy on the smoke when we ate them fresh. Leftovers the next day the smoke mellowed and was perfect. I am doing this again tomorrow night and I will back off by 1 big chunk, or 2 smaller ones.

Thanks guys.
~ Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back