Mustard Substitute

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Howdy all-

New member here.

Just a quick question. I see a lot of great recipes on these forums, but there is one ingredient that keeps me from them -- Mustard.

Unfortunately, Mustard happens to be the most malevolent of the condiment kingdom and I just can't use it. Is there another ingredient that I can substitute for it? Using it is just not an option.

Thanks in advance.

J

John
The use of mustard is not needed if you don't want to use it. A very large number of the best competition cooks don't use it.
I took a second place at MIM in butt against 187 teams, didn't use any mustard at all.
Jim

John......

Sounds like you have a pretty good hate for mustard. LOL Realize that once the meat is cooked there is absolutely NO taste of mustard to the meat...NONE, NADA, ZIP! So, in light of that, it really shouldn't bother you.

Now, if you hate it enough that the thought of buying it is revolting, then simply don't use it. Several of us, me included, have abandoned this step because we saw no differences in the final product.

FWIW, I see fewer comp cooks using the mustard these days as opposed to several years ago.

Stogie or Jim,

I've never used mustard and in light of what Stogie said about not tasting the mustard after the meat cooks, what was the purpose of the mustard? Bark?

Bob

Bob,

It helps hold the rub onto the product and some say it helps with the formation of bark. I, also, used mustard when I first got my WSM and have since abandoned the practice for lack of any evidence that it does anything.

Bob....

Jason just did some testing this past weekend and he concluded that he noticed a distinct difference with the mustard ribs. Check out his thread...not sure where it is but it is on here somewhere.

Unless you're allergic I strongly suggest giving a mustard slather a try. The end result is nothing like the yellow stuff Mom used to put on bologna sandwiches.

I dislike eggs by themselves but that doesn't stop me from enjoying them in recipes for pies, ice cream, sauces and the like. Some poeple hate anchovies by themselves but love caesar salads and worcestershire sauce, both of which owe their delicious taste to anchovies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back