Mustard Rubbed Pork Butt for one

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I will be purchasing a WSM today for the upcoming holiday, and I want to test it out before the big day. How should I modify the cooking times for this particular recipe to accomodate only one butt?

Minion Method for charcoal, use LOTS of water in a 2 gallon Brinkman charcoal pan for your water pan (can get it at Westlake's), check out the mods forum. High heat will be your challenge.

If it was me, I'd also throw on a few pork tenderloins too for a snack/heatsink (the pre-marinaded ones from Tyson or Hormel are good).

P.S. Oh, another suggestion before you cook would be to do a "dry run" to "season" the smoker, I've heard that mentioned before although I didn't season mine before my first cook (I couldn't wait /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )

Cooking two butts as opposed to only one, as you are doing, should only differ in the amount of time it takes to get the cooker to your target cooking temperature-- all other things being equal, you should get there faster. After that, it's pretty much the same.

With one butt you will have less heat sink and therefore your temp will rise faster and probably tend to stabilize higher. I suggest you start with fewer lit coals, say 10 rather than 20. This should keep your heat from getting up too quickly. Of course, put the butt on when you assemble the cooker and watch the temp rise. If it's going up quickly, make larger adjustments to close the bottom vents. If it's slower smaller adjustments. Try to anticipate the rise so you adjust in advance of it with your last being a little shy of your target temp. Once it's stabilized, leave it alone. Even a 5 or 6 lb butt may take 10+ hrs.

Good luck with the cook.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back