mustard or no mustard on pork butt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_W

TVWBB Super Fan
Looking for opinions on coating pork butt with yellow mustard before smoking. Have always wondered if this is necessary. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif I have always done mine this way. Would like to hear some opinions regarding this topic. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Jim,
When I first started smoking butts I used mustard. Then I tried it without the mustard and could not tell much difference. Now I just rub it and throw it on the smoker.

rj

Heck Jim..I'm full of opinions!!

I used for a while and have gotten away from it. I now just work my rub directly into the meat...no oils or anything.

I just can't tell the difference between using and not using.....which means it is adding nothing to my palate so why waste the time and money.

Just me and my over-taxed taste buds probably!

Here is how I determined.........next time you cook ribs....make half with and half without the mustard, then eat BEFORE you apply any sauces. Look for a change in texture as well as any taste differences. Many like the way the bark turns out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevin Taylor:
[qb] Heck Jim..I'm full of opinions!!

I used for a while and have gotten away from it. I now just work my rub directly into the meat...no oils or anything.

I just can't tell the difference between using and not using.....which means it is adding nothing to my palate so why waste the time and money.

Just me and my over-taxed taste buds probably!

Here is how I determined.........next time you cook ribs....make half with and half without the mustard, then eat BEFORE you apply any sauces. Look for a change in texture as well as any taste differences. Many like the way the bark turns out. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That makes 2 votes for NO. I think I will try one 2morrow without the mustard. I had been told that the mustard creates a sealing "crust" around the butt, thus holding in moisture and protecting the meat from burning.

Thanks yall

Not true Jim.......

Nothing can seal moisture in the meat...not even searing. BBQ temps are simply too low for any type of sealing of juices.

Most use mustard for 2 reasons......helps the rub stick and gives the bark a unique flavor.

I think that's a good idea to try one without....might as well cook a couple......try one with and one without.

Have fun!

Kevin
Hit that one on the head, even when searing a steak the reason you do it is to carmelize the the outside of the meat. When eating seared meat you produce more saliva and creats the perception of very juicy meat. Knowledgable chefs have been using this to their advantage for a long time.
Mustard is simply used to hold rub on meat, this is a method taught by Paul Kirk in his class. He states that that is the reason for using it.
John Wilingham discusses in one of his books how he likes to apply rub directly to the meat making the bark a combination of rub, meat juices and smoke.
Both schools work just a question of what do you like.
Jim

I experimented a month ago doing one but with and one without mustard. As I cooked them, I got confused as to which was which.

When I took them off, I tried to figure out which had the mustard and couldn't. I also asked my guests to sample each and tell me which they liked better. No one could tell the difference.

I've stopped using mustard.

I guess I will wade into this topic as well. I've only just started using mustard. I didn't use it for a long time, but decided to try it. Its simply a base for the rub to stick and adds a subtle layer of flavor - in theory. I've been using honey mustard lately (in fact, today on ribs), in hopes of creating a subtle additional layer of flavor.

Is mustard necessary? Of course not. It does allow the rub to stick better. Maybe I just like playing with my meat more than most. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I only do it when either the wife or any one else is watching at the beginning. It looks c o o l /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif .

Used to be that I just painted on the mustard before applying the rub. After watching Mad Momma and the Kid on the Food Network massaging the meat at the Jack Daniels, I started doing that as well. I find the rub adheres more uniformly, and I also use less mustard.

Never really felt that mustard adds much in flavor, having tried both with and without side by side and, like stated before, unable to tell the difference.

I do not apply mustard to ribs or chicken, sometimes to brisket.

One thing I do use mustard for is a finishing glaze. Equal parts mustard, maple syrup and brown sugar, heat to just beginning to boil, and slather on meat in last hour of cook. Seem to be able to taste the three flavors on the meat, including the mustard. Not "hot dog" intense, but just a hint of it. Works especialy well on ribs. Note-the glaze should be watery when applied.

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back