Mustard on Pork Butt?

• Thread starter Thread starter Shawn
  • Start date Start date

S

Shawn

Anyone use yellow mustard rub on their pork butt prior to the spice rub? Know of those who use this method but not sure if I should give it a try or not. Thoughts?

Very typical, and works quite well. You don't need a heavy coating, but just a light smearing will hold your rub onto the meat a little better than just directly rubbing the meat. I do it on ribs, brisket, AND butts. You will not taste mustard on the meat. For something even more interesting, try mixing 2 Tbs of yellow mustard with 1 Tbs of honey, and use that for your glue. You get just a slightly sweeter taste in the bark that way. Yum...

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

I always use CYM (cheap yellow mustard) on all my pork and beef.

Yogurt huh?? Im definately going to have to try that...Sounds like an experiment waiting to happen. Do you use this on ribs too???

Jim,

Yes I use on ribs when competing, but it is too much of a hassle to go through when serving 50 people.

Spread on thin.....1 container can cover about 3 slabs. Then apply your rub and let sit overnight.

Hey Rita, you think it's the real Stogie? I say give me some proof it's really you!
icon_wink.gif

Welcome back Kevin. Good to see you back on the boards again!!!

So, using the old Yogurt bas a tenderizer trick aye Mr. Stogie !!??

Sounds like there will be a lot of people trying that method.

We'll call it, let's see, ah yes, Ribs... using the Minion/Stogie method.

Looking forward to many more Stogie methods.
Welcome back Mr. Taylor.

Al

Welcome back, Stogie. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember you talking about using cherry yogurt as glue with Mary's Cherry rub on ribs - did I dream that?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keri C:
Welcome back, Stogie. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember you talking about using cherry yogurt as glue with Mary's Cherry rub on ribs - did I dream that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm thinking your right with that Keri. I also remember him working on a cherry rub using cherry Kool-Aid.
icon_smile.gif

Back