mushy ribs

adam clyde

TVWBB Pro
I've never had this problem before... until yesterday. Mushy ribs. Flavor and tenderness were good, but the texture was pretty mushy.

What causes mushy ribs? Too tender?

I added the rub 30 minutes prior to smoking. Normal salt level - nothing too salty at all. The ribs were not "enhanced."

Smoked for 3.5-4 hours, foiled for 1.25 hours, then unfoiled and smoked for another hour or so.

They were tender, but a little mushy. Was it because they got too cozy in the foil? But I liked that they were pretty tender. However, should I pull from the foil earlier? or is there another cause of mushiness in ribs?

for some reason, I just can't get my ribs where I want them. Not that people don't say they are great, but I think they are just kissing up since they are getting free food...
icon_smile.gif

Likely the length of time in foil. Try the same approach next time but go for a shorter foil time--say an hour--see what you think. Time after, try 45 min. You should be able to zero in on what you like best.

That said, differences in fat quantity and trim level among slabs will affect your results somewhat so tweaking your approach is necessary at times. Did you use any liqiud in the foil? If so, how much?

Adam
I could have written the same post this morning. My ribs were cooked 3-2-1 at 250 but "mushy" is a good way to describe them. I plan on experimenting with not using foil and with higher temps. I ate some ribs Sunday cooked on a Big Green Egg in two hours at high temps and they were terrific.

Loren

Foilng ribs is a good technique to get them tender, but it's easy to overdo. I do spares most often and foil at 3.5 hours for only 45 min. As stated, experiment and determine what's right for you.

Another problem on "mushy" could have been too much moisture on the ribs when you foiled and not wrapped tight enought. Mushy sounds like it could be the effect of steam.

Every cook is a learning experience.

Paul

Paul/Kevin -

I think you are right. I had foiled that long in the past and not had a problem with mushiness, but this time I added more liquid... pineapple. I hadn't thought about it... that was probably the problem. Before, I would just lightly spritz the ribs with pineapple. this time I spooned some into the foil.

I'm guessing that, along with foiling time, was the culprit.

I guess I'll have to smoke some more to test it. Shucks
icon_smile.gif

To me, that sounds like the problem, putting to much fluid into the foil time. I just spray and foil them also, works great. Even if they were a little on the mush side, they still tasted good.
icon_wink.gif

I believe pineapple juice is very acidic and can break down meat pretty quickly, causing mushy-ness. Perhaps that was part of the problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob B.:
I believe pineapple juice is very acidic and can break down meat pretty quickly, causing mushy-ness. Perhaps that was part of the problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right on the money, Pineapple can really break down meat. I would advide to use apple juice next time and see how it goes.

Pineapple juice is not excessively acidic. Its ability to break down meat is from enzymes that, if the juice is pasteurized, are pretty much rendered harmless.

I use pineapple juice (often mixed with others) in foil with ribs often--as much as 1/2 c depending on the size of the slab--without ill effect. Length of time in the foil is the key variable imo, as well as whether or not the ribs were 'enhanced' which if so and if coupled with juice, foiling and time, could leave them mushy.

Do you marinate or use a paste? It could be that you are marinating the ribs too long. The acidity of the marinade is making it mushy.

Could it be the paste you are using. Too much oil or acidity?

I use a rub (usualy Raichlen's 5-4-3-2-1 rub). Shortly before I foil I use more rub and a spritz or two of apple juice or apple juice mixed with evoo. Usually 4 or 5 parts juice to oil. I also foil 1.5 hours max then throw it on a grill to crisp it up a bit (more rub).

Hope this helps.

Back