multiple meats in one wsm cook?

tim irving

guys,

i've cooked ribs but i've never cooked multiple meats in one run.

i want to cook the following:
one 4 lb chicken (beer can chicken)
two racks of spare ribs (ala costco)
two 3 lb tri-tips

what do you guys recommend?

i bought all this meat for smoke day vi!!!

...tim

Well ... not only do you have a 3-meat mix that take different times but also different temps.

Beer Can Chicken and Ribs are typically done at about 250º but the Tri-Tips are typically done at about 350º.

Tri-Tip should take about an hour, the Beer Can Chicken about 4 hours, and the Ribs about 6 hours using the 3-2-1 method.

I've never done this but I might go about it like this ... stabilize at 250º, start the Ribs on the top grate. At the 3 hour mark, pull the Ribs and foil. Put the Beer Can Chicken on the bottom rack and return the Ribs to the top grate. After 2 hours, unfoil the Ribs and return to top grate. After 1 hour, remove Ribs to storage, move the Chicken to the top grate and put the Tri-Tips on the bottom grate. Open the vents and raise the temp to 350º. About every 30min check the Chicken for 160º in the breast. Remove Chicken at 160º. Finish Tri-Tip until internal reaches 135º.

Good luck.

You can cook the Tri at any temp. I just did one (my first) with a Butt. It cooked in about 2 hours to 125 and I threw it on the grill to finsh for about 10 min.

If you follow the tri recipie from the cooking topics you will be fine.

If it were me, I'd put the ribs in at 275 (about 6 hours to finish with no foil... but...) I'd foil them after about 2 hours and throw on the rest (add more wood). Then I'd pull them as they finish.

If having them food out at the same time is not an issue, I'd throw them all on at the same time and not have to worry about adding wood. The tri can go on the grill after about 2 hours, 125 internal temp(I finish mine on a gasser). My day would be set... 10:00 cooker going; 12:00 eating tri; 2:00 bit-o-chicken and 4:00 ribs foiled and wrapped.

Funny you should bring this up. I just did it today and it was totally unplanned. I did 2 slabs of spare ribs at 230 - 240 (Minion method) for about 4 hours. My plan was to just dump the charcoal and start fresh with 1 1/2 chimneys for some tri-tips when the ribs were done. But when I took the top section off after removing the ribs, I could see how much coal I still had left and how hot it was. I removed the water pan and opened up the vents a little and within a few minutes I had a 350 degree cooker - perfect for tri tip. I put my meat on and poured the chimney of fresh coals back into the bag. Everything came out perfect

Back