Multiple Butts

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I was "magically" volunteered to make BBQ for Easter dinner this year, it seems my fiance is coming around to the idea of the WSM. I know BBQ is not exactly traditional Easter fare but who cares, its from the same animal as ham but tastes better.

I have 3 7lb butts thawing in the fridge right now. I know for 1 7 pounder it takes me 12-14 hours but how much extra time will it take to cook all 3? How should I divide them between the top and bottom grates and should I rotate between grates when I flip them? Will 21 pounds of meat provide me with more temperature stability?

Would it make sense to put different rubs on each one, I could do three rubs and three sauces and let people mix and match?

Thanks again, like everyone else says "I couldn't do this without this site." /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tim

Three butts should not change cooking time much if any, rotating is not a bad idea it will even out the cooking time some.
If you are going to use different rubs, try it before you sauce to see what you like and then sauce and try again.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back