Multi-Grate Chicken Cook w/Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
First off, here is the link to the photos of the cook:

Chicken Cook

This will probably be fairly long, and I will try to anticipate your questions as i go and hopefully answer them along the way.

I had marinated the thighs and legs in Wishbone Zesty Italian overnight. I drained the dressing from the ziplock bags and paper toweled the chicken pieces. I made a rub consisting of Texas BBQ Rub #1 and #2, in a 2:1 ratio. I sprinkled the rub onto the chicken pieces let them sit on the counter while I got the WSM fired up.

I used 3 chunks of Sugar maple and 1 chunk of Pecan. I loaded the charcoal ring 3/4 full with Kingsford and lit a half chimney full and added them to the ring when they wewre ashed over. I used Kingsford instead of lump because I had never done this before and I value my lump so I figured the Kingsford is cheaper and I've never really had aproblem with it, anyhow...

I transferred the chicken pieces to the grates and assembled the cooker. I placed thighs on the most bottom rack, then legs, then legs on the lower top grate and then thighs on the highest grate. Don't know why, just thought the thighs looked bigger and I thought the heat nearer the sand pan and closer to the dome would be higher than the middle. I took notes on the temps and vent settings:

Time Lid Top Grate #1 Middle(btw. 2 & 3)
12:50p ON Vent 1 Vent 2 Vent 3
1:10p 218 210 176
1:35p 245 100 221 0 183 50
2:20p 239 100 221 100 217 100
2:50p 258 50 228 50 224 50
3:20p 255 50 248 25 237 25
3:50p 260 0 251 0 235 50

I started taking temps of the meat at 3pm, they were interesting to say the least. Temps on Rack 4, closest to the sand, were actually higher then temps on the top grate by 5-10 degrees.The top rack meat ranged from 161-170 and the lower rack meat ranged from 170-175. Middle rack, #2 and #3, ranged from from 160-172.

I received some interesting info last night from a member of the BBQ Forum who had done multi-level cooks on his WSM. He stated that air circulation can be impeded with multiple levels, he had found that meat temps closer to the sand were in fact higher and meat on the middle grates and that meat located in the middle of the grate did not cook as fast and might require rotation.

At 3:50pm the wife asked if we were having any for dinner and I told her that we sure were, so I lit up some lump in the Weber kettle and began to crips up some chicken. I did a plate full for dinner, then decided I might as well do it all, so I pulled the chicken from the WSM about 10 pieces at a time and finished it off on the kettle.

It did get a little dark on the kettle, that was a hot fire, but the skin tasted great, nice and crisp with great flavor.

Lets see what's left, Had a great time during the cook, the WSM performed well, I was surprised that after nearly 4 hours there were still some pieces that had not reached 175 degrees. It was kind of a pain trying to check temps on the lower grates, make sure you have a place to set the upper grates down. Can't think of anything else right now, if you have any questions feel free to post or my e-mail address is on my profile.

Great post Bruce, and the pics look fantastik!
icon_smile.gif

Great job Bruce! That's alot of chicken!! Let us know how the leftovers turn out when you reheat them after you freeze the rest! Kinda anxious to know!
icon_biggrin.gif

Bruce, Great Pics where was the WSM'S little helper?(school duh never mind)
icon_rolleyes.gif
. Job well done.
icon_wink.gif
I would guess the dark skin is a result of all the sugar in the Texas BBQ Rub?
icon_eek.gif
Bryan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I would guess the dark skin is a result of all the sugar in the Texas BBQ Rub? Bryan <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bryan,
I did a beer can chicken last night with the brisket rub (all I had) and it turned quite dark like Bruces'.

Bruce,
Looks like the mods worked well for your cook.
I think you higher heat on the lower rack is more due to using sand in the pan, not the restricted air flow due to the multi rack. looked like you had plenty of space between the chicken pieces.

Bruce,
Simply beautifull!
A few questions. Tell me about your use of sugar maple. I have not ever used it. Do you usually do Italian dressing-have you brined chicken before? Do you prefer using sand and a lower temp longer smoke rather than an empty pan higher temp and shorter cook?
Your results look great.
Yesterday, I did a 2 hour brine and an empty pan cook with chicken legs and thighs. It turned out pretty good. I did a reheat in micro then 400 oven.

Steve,

Thank you and everyone for your kind remarks; Steve, I use Sugar Maple mainly when I do pork butt or ribs because it's aroma (unbelievable) has a sweet smell to it and I think pork lends itself to sweetness (who the heck knows), it is a milder wood but I do feel it imparts a certain sweet flavor to the meat. Secondly, if I marinate chicken it is usually in Italian Dressing, however lately I have been using the new Lawry Marinade's available in grocery stores (not bad).

I have never brined a whole chicken. I don't know why, I just haven't. I have heard the comments from folks on the advantages, I just haven't gotten around to it.

I have been using sand for a little over a year now and don't think I would ever go back to water. Lastly, I really don't do chicken that often in the WSM. I usually do it in my Weber kettle, over indirect heat, or whole chickens on the rotisserie.

Hope I have helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back