Mullberry wood

I have recently been using a lot of mulberry and peach for smoking. They don't seem as "fruity" as apple or cherry, but I'd still consider them a "light" smoke suitable for poultry & fish. I generally mix with hickory or oak 50/50.

There are a couple of other threads on mulberry here and here.
I use a lot of mulberry since my brother gave me some he was planning to use for firewood. I expect part of my mulberry tree to fall in my yard in the next couple of weeks so I'll have some for the next couple of years. Should be perfectly seasoned by next summer when I run out of my current supply. I use it on almost everything and add a little black walnut or oak when I want a stronger smoke flavor. I'll be using some on deviled eggs this weekend.

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark Dawson:
There are a couple of other threads on mulberry here and here.
I use a lot of mulberry since my brother gave me some he was planning to use for firewood. I expect part of my mulberry tree to fall in my yard in the next couple of weeks so I'll have some for the next couple of years. Should be perfectly seasoned by next summer when I run out of my current supply. I use it on almost everything and add a little black walnut or oak when I want a stronger smoke flavor. I'll be using some on deviled eggs this weekend.

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
thanks for the additional links. i have some mullberry that i cut up last summer but haven't tried it yet. do you smoke it with the bark on or off and how big of chunks are you using?

I leave the bark on. I've never noticed a difference in the bark on/off controversy. Some of what I have is from a young tree with very thin bark that would be difficult to remove. I generally use appoximately fist-sized chunks although last week I used one that was about 6" long.

I am boring. I stick to hickory, mesquite, or pecan. Never go with the fruit woods b/c I never smoke any fish.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Tag:
I am boring. I stick to hickory, mesquite, or pecan. Never go with the fruit woods b/c I never smoke any fish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
you don't need to smoke fish to play with different woods. as mentioned cherry and apple are good with poultry and pork. cherry is particularly good because its hard to over use.

Back