Mulberry smoke wood?

Jim N

TVWBB Member
I have access to a couple of mulberry trees that were recently cut down. I'd like chunk some of it for smoke wood. Anyone ever tried mulberry before? What is the "rule of thumb" when selecting smoke wood? I presume hardwood vs softwood, but any other suggestions?

Thanks for the info Dave. I guess I'd seen that before, but it's been awhile since I read everything on the site and forgot it was there.

Can anyone tell me first hand what kind of flavor to expect from mulberry smoke wood?

I use a lot of mulberry. It is mild, similar to other fruit woods. Works good for poultry, meatloaf, ribs, etc. I recently used 3 chunks on a wild turkey. It was good but light in flavor so I could have added another chunk. I generally add a little walnut or hickory when smoking red meat. I am planning to try it next time I do smoked cheese since I thought hickory was a little overpowering on the first batch I tried.

Mark

Thanks for the info Mark. Looks like I'll be chunking up a bunch of mulberry wood. Free smoke wood always tastes better than the stuff I have to buy!
icon_biggrin.gif

I can't believe you can smoke with mulberry! I HATE mulberry trees...my dad owns some commercial property with mulberry trees, and I am always the one (forced) to trim them. Arrggghhh! But at least I'll be sure to save the wood now for Qing.

Mulberry trees can be a pain. We get a lot of purple bird poop around the yard for a few weeks around the 4th of July. But if you want a real treat, collect some of the berries and make jelly. It is delicious.

Mark

icon_biggrin.gif
Hence the reason we cut three of them down!!! We left a couple for picking, and I agree, they make for some awesome jams, jellies, & pies, and IMO, still an easier pick than raspberries!!!

Back