Mr. Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Munson

TVWBB Super Fan
I am initially disappointed in the Wal-Mart charcoal. After firing up the chimney and letting the coals get about the right temperature I noticed the coals were going ?psssft? every now and then in the chimney. The bags have been in the garage, kept dry for over a month. I am not sure what they added to the stuff but moisture or some flammable stuff is in them.

It took about 2/3 of a bag to get the WSM loaded up. From past experience with Kingsford I would expect to not add any charcoal at all for up to a 12 hour cook.

I am following the ?The Renowned Mr. Brown? recipe with a single 8lb (trimmed weight) bone-in pork buts. I used regular sugar (a bit less).
I hope to go for fully cooked temperature using only the WSM. I am using plum and apple wood for the smoke ? I quartered a few ~2.5? diameter, 6? branches of plum for the wood. The apple is already cut and split. Last night I split the 8lb but, applied the ?Southern Succor Rub? and put the meat in a baggie overnight. Instead of using water I am trying sand in the water pan to see if it helps. I have the meat on and my 10? turkey fryer thermometer stuck 8? into the top. The marker is set to 250 and from the kitchen window I can see what the temp is (currently at 250 +/- 5) ? bottom vents are about 1/3 open.

Don?t have apple juice but I do have white grape and peach juice for the toddlers out. They said they do not mind if I use a bit every now and then. I just had to look to see and noticed the meat looks like it has a glaze over it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back