Mr. Brown - How Spicy?

Jeff Davidson

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi Folks,

We're having a halloween party tomorrow. We have hot dogs for the kids and I'm going to make pulled pork for the adults. This will be my first overnighter and my 3rd cook in my wsm. Pretty ambitious, no?

My first cook was the BRITU with spare ribs (not baby backs), I misjudged the cooking time and had to pull them off early. Then a brisket that was good not great (a little dry) compared to what comes out of my weber kettle. Hoping to hit paydirt with pulled pork.

I'm wondering how spicy is Mr. Brown? I can eat (and enjoy) very spicy food but it's probably not appropriate for a party. If it's very spicy, I have a raichlin recipe I've used in the the kettle.

thanks,
jd

Mr Brown is a good recipe but it is a bit heavy on the pepper for my kids. Just cut back on the pepper, add a bit more sugar and it is fine.

Thanks. I'd usually figure this out by trial and error by I'd like to get it right for the party. The succor rub calls for a number of "hot" spices including black pepper, paprika, and cayenne.

Here's the original recipe:

1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup Turbinado sugar
2 Tablespoons table salt
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Cut the hot stuff in half?

Half sounds about right to me on the red pepper. The black pepper is to taste really. I have only made the Mr Brown a couple times and that was when I first started. Everyone liked it and had no problems eating it really. You might even like it hotter than the original but until you try it, who knows? One thing for sure the original recipe has a bite to it to me. And I like heat. Finding that happy medium wont take you too many cooks. In fact, you can make one butt mild and one hot, just put the hot on the bottom rack.

Any rib rub also works on butts. It's a little sweeter and may be more to the liking of little ones. The Mr. Brown recipe is HEAVY on the black pepper and really packs a punch, albeit a fast one that quickly diminishes, but a punch nonetheless.

Jeff,

When doing a party I typically rub only once with Mr. Brown, then using the leftover rub plus the liquid ingredients for the sop. It's a nice slow burn and a crowd pleaser! I like to supplement with a spicy vinegar sauce for those with tastebuds of steel. Good luck to ya!

I just served Mr. Brown at our annual pumpkin carving party using the standard recipe, but I only applied the rub once. All who dined enjoyed. I've served it to other large groups before with no complaints there, either, and this is from little kids up to grandparents. I'd not reduce the black pepper too much because it seems to comprise much of the texture of the bark. Good luck with the event.

thanks folks, I actually decided to use Darl and Andrew's advice and go with one application of the rub. I'll have a nice spicy vinegar sauce for us and any other brave souls.

I'll post a report here when it's done. .

I love the Mr Brown cook instructions (including the Southern Sop) from this site, it's still my fav butt rub. I apply it twice as per but yeah, it's pretty peppery.

If you want to cut down on the heat suggest cutting down on the peppers like Dale suggested, but still apply it twice. Makes for awesome bark. I always scalp my butts of external fat.

Throw some doctored beans ( add some ham sausage or leftover brisket etc etc) under those butts for the last 4 -6 hours and ya got some real fine eats there.

Hey Shawn,

I was thinking about throwing a cabbage under there with onions, bacon and butter but I've never made beans on the q. We usually just take some pork or brisket cuttings and throw them into a can of beans. Is there a receipe for your beans?

Back