Mr. Brown - Foil or No Foil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dallas Packer

I am cooking a 7lb pork butt and have a couple of questions.

I am using the Mr. Brown recipe from Smoke and Spice and I noticed they call for an internal temp between 170-180 which seems low. Most posts I've seen on this board call for temps around 190-195. I've also noticed long plateaus (sometime hours). I've estimated 1 1/2 - 2hours per pound at a temp of 225.

What is your opinion on the use of foil during the cook and when should I use it. At what temp should I remove the butt from the smoker? Should I remove 5 or 10 degrees before 195 and foil knowing that the shoulder will continue to cook? Do you recommend using foil during the cook when the butt hits one of those long plateaus (around 170).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dallas

Dallas, I dont think you need to use foil. Cook that butt to 190-200 internal temp and you will be happy. I can also tell you from my mishap not to be afraid of 250,I cooked at 200-220 for 17.5 hrs and people were coming to eat and the pork wasnt close to being done then I foiled and finished in the oven".PERFECT! I got to thank Mike again for that tip.

Dallas
The long plateaus is when the cooker is doing it's job. Druing that time fat is being rendered and connective tissue is being broke down, there is no need to rush through this phase of the cook.
I may foil at a competition if I have run out of time and I will foil at the end of the cook to hold but let the pork take it's natural course and you will find that it will improve your finished product.
Jim

I agree with Jim, unless pressed for time, let the fat do its job. If you ahve that plateau for 4-6 hours, you will end up with some pretty tender and very juicy meat

I tried foiling on butts a couple times--and am convinced it does not make a comparable product.

Low and slow is no slogan, it is THE way to smoke butts.

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back