Mounting the HeaterMeter on the WSM

Mache

TVWBB Fan
I want to find a way to mount my HM to my 18" WSM.

I was only able to find a 2' ET-72/73 pit probe (the food probes are 6') and had to place a small table next to my WSM for my first HM cook. Given the two screw head mounting slots on the back of the HM case, I was wondering if anyone has thought of creating a thermally safe way to attach the HM to the WSM with magnets (perhaps neodymium?). Obviously you would need some sort of thermal standoff so as to not melt the case or cook the electronics like an air gap or an insulator such as stainless steel or those inexpensive silicon potholders.

My old BBQ Guru Competitor has 6' pit and food probes and the controller has a wing nut in the back that mounts directly on a stainless steel angle mounting bracket that was part of their Pit Viper blower. That bracket no longer appears as part of the current Pit Viper product but they do sell one as an option. Since I use that blower with the HM, if I got a longer pit probe I could just take a machine screw, insert it into the screw head slot, and attach it to the mounting slot on my older Pit Viper with a wing nut. Stainless steel is a poor thermal conductor eliminating most if not all heat transferred from the fire box to the case.

A possibly better approach would be to create a wooden shelf with an arc on one side, mirroring the curve of the 18" WSM, perhaps with a perpendicular strut(s) for stability, channeled to take magnets, and insulated with cut down silicon potholders. Another approach would be to use stainless steel angle brackets to attach the shelf with magnets epoxyed or JBWelded to the angle bracket and insulated using silicon potholder material.

A very simple approach would be to take a single stainless steel angle bracket, epoxy or JBWeld magnets to one leg, epoxy or JBWeld silicon potholder material to the magnets, and then attach a raised machine screw head on the opposite leg as a mount point for the HM.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on this?

-- Mache

Last edited:
Just finished up a table myself. Got the idea here.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/worktable.html

The table looks like it sticks out quite a bit, but the boards are only 7" wide so the table really only sticks out around 10". Might cut it back a hair if I was to do it again. Probably best not to set a 10 pound butt on this (it would tip over before it breaks though).

I have been using grommets to pass the wires through, but my next mod (when I get the nerve to take a grinder to my baby) is this slot in the top for the wires to pass through.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?37566-Cutting-Notch-in-18-5-WSM/page2

IMG_0090_zpsfbcf07a5.jpg

IMG_0088_zps3edf5d02.jpg

Last edited:

Back