more smoke flavor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott w

Okay- do I get points for being the zealous new guy with a lot of questions?

Compared to the offset smoker fired with all wood, my briskets don't taste as good on mostly charcoal.

I another thread I refer to a brisket I cooked for about 5 hours on my big Lang offset and then it went on the WSM along with a brisket that was only cooked on the WSM. I had three large chunks of mequite and a handful of small chunks in with the charcoal. So one brisket tasted like meat with some smoke and the other tasted like a smoked brisket.

Should I increase the amount of wood? or just get used to a different taste. I should mention that I didn't notice such a large flavor change in butts on WSM VS all wood.

Thanks!

Was the WSM only brisket going for 5 hrs. while the other one was in the Lang?

Many factors are involved in this.
type of wood used in the Lang
Was there are difference in the temps of the 2 cookers greater than 50 degrees?
If the lang was cooler the smoke may have had a longer time to pentrate ie after 120 deg. It doesn't penetrate the meat.
In a WSM I try to hit it with as much smoke as I can early on.

Doug....

Smoke penetrates the meat for as long as it is applied...it doesn't stop absorbing after 120-140?.

What you are thinking of is the formation of the smokering. That is a chemical process that stops at 120-140?.

Scott.......

I think your cure is simply adding more wood to the WSM. If you like it really smokey, add 4-5 chunks when you put the meat on and then in 2 hours add another 4-5 chunks. I suppose you could continue to add, but I would think this amount should be more than adequate.

Thanks Kevin & Doug. I also suspect that adding more wood may improve my temperature issues in the long run.

We'll see this weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back