More on spare ribs?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I bought a WSM the other day, so i thought i would try ribs on it. As i stated I have not had too good of luck on ribs. Here is the deal: I Painted them with mustard, applied rub, allowed them to sit all night in frig, fired up the ole WSM to a temp of 230 at the dome, held it there for 4 hours and 15 minutes, took the ribs off, and they were kinda tough. I like my ribs to fall off the bone. I dont always use the mustard, but have tried many things i read from the BBQ books. I did not mean to say that the commercial ribs were better than your ribs, i said that my ribs were not to my liking

You didn't cook them long enough. If the temp at the dome was 230?, then the temp at the top grate was probably only about 215?. With the lid temp at 240? it takes me around 7 hours to attain what I consider perfection. They don't 'fall off the bone', but the meat pulls easily and cleanly from the bone. You can tell when they're at this point because they become hard to handle without the slab breaking apart. Think 5-8 hours and you should get better results.

Steve

I agree with Steve. I usually cook my ribs for at least seven hours at those temps. Haven't been disappointed yet.
Billy Gardner

I agree with Steve and Billy, at those temps 7 hours or so for spares and maybe 5 1/2 to 6 for loin back ribs.

Well yes the other guys have it dialled in. I'd add if you want falling apart remove the second membrane I have pictures on my site. I personally have tried it both ways and prefer to prep the ribs with rub and let them only sit as long as it takes the smoker to warm up. The best $20 you could spend would be for a digital instant reading meat thermometer, to read the temp of the meat between the bones. It should feel like your sticking it in butter when they are done and temp I find is around 180 when I do it right.
TeddyBearBBQ.com

Jerry
To get falling off the bone you will want to foil the ribs the part of the cook, if you literary mean you want them to fall off the bone.
jim

When you foil the ribs, do you also heavily mop them or braise them for this process?

Mike...

Just prior to foiling you can mop them. I will apply more of my Cherry Rub at this time as well. You can sprinkle with just plain brown sugar also.

Then, foil tightly and let em cook for a few more hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back