Mopping Pros and Cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff lowe

TVWBB Super Fan
How many of you mop? I usually do it when I don't foil which I hardly do anyway. I use the half/half/half Kirk method. I dont mop butts but I know many that do. What are your opinions on mopping?

Sorry, had to get that out of my system.

I only mop butts, using the half/half/half. I spray my briskets with apple juice (does that count as mopping?). Butts get cider vinegar plus whatever rub I used.

I've gone without mopping (see other post re: drinking/sleeping) sometimes, but I find the mopped ones have just a little more tang to 'em.

But if for some reason I couldn't mop, it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

I never mop, but if Rita comes through with that new invention..What's she calling it..the BBQ Gurette..I'll have to try it. I have sprayed AJ a few times but only if I have to go in for something else...Haven't really noticed a difference.

Hey Bill and Greg,

We have GOT to party with that gal!
icon_cool.gif
icon_eek.gif

bruce

I dont mop often but have on a few occasions. The pros is depending what you mop with you can add to the complexity of the flavor profile. One ccertainly can go without and still have a great product. The cons of moping see suzan Z re: drinking/sleeping. Many of our cooks are overnighters and it interrupts a good nights sleep as well as the heat loss extends the cooking time a litttle if you have to move roasts to mop the bottom rack.

Some say it makes for better bark.

You can try it and see what it does for you!! noything to lose.

Back in the day (well Susan got to talk like a con, I figured I would stray a little bitt too).
Any way... When my friends and I would do "pig pick'ns' we would always mop. That's just what you did. That's what the NC BBQ joints did. Of course we were cooking a whole or half pig over wood embers (direct heat) either in a cooker made from a fuel oil tank, or a pit dug in the ground. The only rub we used back then was salt. You salted the pig, thru it on the grate, drank beer, tended the fire, and mopped your pig with 'dip'. 'Dip' is what the mop sauce is called in Lexington (BBQ Capital of the World) and surrounding regions of NC.
Using my WSM I'm not as prone to do it. Don't want to lose the heat. If I am opening the lid for something else I will mop.

And yes, one day before I die... I've got to party with Susan.

Susan, you've just got to stop leaving your drinks in my kitchen. I saved the last two for....well, a few minutes...and knew that they'd go bad if someone didn't do the duty....hic! Ooops, excuuuuse meee!

Rita

P.S. Actually, the name Gurette was Susan's idea. We're collaborating now.

Chris, it prolly would be the day before you die----I party pretty hard! (kudos to you for getting the con reference...!)

And Rita, that's right---the guruette is a combo of your pop-up underneathe sprinklers and my overhead sprinklers, and...was that MY drink???? Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........drat.

I haven't bothered to mop butts, briskets, or poultry. I have, however, recently started spraying my ribs with pineapple juice every 30 mins for the last 3-4 hours of the cook. I find that it causes the ribs to turn a beautiful mahogony brown and add a great sweet/sour wang to the flavor of the ribs.

I doubt mopping a big peice of meat would add much flavor but spraying ribs sure does!

Hey guys, I think if we ever tried to party with Susan we would definitely pay for it the next day! Anyone who has 7&7's and cold pizza for breakfast, you might want to pack your lunch if you plan to party with them. Because it will be a long long night!
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rita Y:
P.S. Actually, the name Gurette was Susan's idea. We're collaborating now. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>It was the "Rita's Automatic WSM Sprinkler System (RAWSS)" I was thinking of, butt
icon_biggrin.gif
, whatever you two fine ladies come up with, I'm in
icon_wink.gif

(and I'm in for the party, too
icon_cool.gif
)

Hey Rita,
Do I get any monetary compensation at all for the "RAWSS"??? I did have a little something to do with it!
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif

Once again, someone getting rich from my ideas/brilliance!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Larry, I'll have to take your request "under advisement" with my partner.
icon_wink.gif

Now everyone wants a piece of us.
icon_eek.gif

Rita

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back