Mop for Texas BBQ Rub #1?

Dennis T.

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm planning my first (and second) butt for this weekend. Coincidentally, an order of Texas BBQ Rub #1 and #2 was delivered last night.

I think I'll rub the butts with the #1 rub.

Any suggestions on what type of mop to use that would pair well with the Texas rub?

Me, I never mop butts. The only time I ever sprayed them with AJ was when I had to go in there for something else.. (just my $.02
icon_cool.gif
)

Since you're doing 2 butts, may I suggest you try both rubs? I've done a boatload of butts with Texas BBQ Rub #1 and #2 and personally, I like the #2 better. That's some good stuff!!
icon_smile.gif

Bill,

Thanks for the advice ... I was going to put one butt on each grate ... if I used two different rubs would I have an issue with the top butt contaminating the lower?

I searched previous discussions and for a mop I was leaning towards something simple ... either straight apple juice or AJ mixed with oil.

I think it would be minimal if at all. I've done 4 butts with different rubs on each level and haven't noticed any. Both butts will fit on the top grate without touching each other AND they'll be at the same temp too.
icon_cool.gif

A lot will depend on the size of the butts. I'd like to put both on the top grate, but want to keep the meat as much in the middle as possible.

My first rib smoke, I was disappointed in how the meat around the edges of the grate dried out. A little gun shy I suppose ...

Good point about butt size.
icon_biggrin.gif
Here's a pic with 8 pounders from this past New Years Cook using Rub #1 and #2.

Haven't tried it on ribs yet.

I just add some of whatever rub i use (and turbinado sugar, for butts---of course, I will have rubbed that on the butts too) to some apple cider vinegar and sometimes some apple juice or cider if I have it, and mop with that.

Back