montreal rib roast question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
I an cooking for 20 tommorow and have two beautiful 10 lb certified black angus rib roasts in my fridge. I am cooking 90 miles from the house for a family picnic and have a capacity question.

Has anyone cooked two of these at once in a WSM?

I'm don't have any data on the cooking temp on the bottom grate with no water in the pan so I dont know what I'd be doing to the roast on the bottom.

How have you adjusted cooking time?

My goal is to do one to Med and one to Med Rare.

I have 3 WSM's so if I need to I can use 2 if I had to but that would be a hassel to cart two of them with me as opposed to one.

Any thoughts, recommendations? Do I neet two WSM's or is one ok?

any guess how long it will take so I can estimate what time dinner will be served?

Thanks

I don't think I'll be much help, but here are some comments.
I have only done ~5 pound rib roasts, and only 1 at a time. The 5 pounder usually takes almost 2-1/2 hours to cook to medium at 325-350*. If I were to cook one on each grate, I'd probably rotate top to bottom (and maybe even flip) part way through the cook.
I'm doing the Montreal rib roast recipe with a boneless rib eye roast from Costco this Sunday. My family loves it.
Hopefully someone else can give you the info you need. I'm sure it will be a great success.

Since at these temprratures we are using the WSM as an oven oir a roaster I don't think it will have much of a negative impact.

When using the WSM as a smoker with water or sand in the pan the bottom grate is at a lower temprature than the top but when using it as an oven without the heat shield effect of thfull waterpan I might be inclined to think that the heat on the bottom rack could be higher.

Since the temps we are talking about have a much greater porential to melt the have to carefully monitor meat temps on the way up.

Any other ideas?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Raveret:

When using the WSM as a smoker with water or sand in the pan the bottom grate is at a lower temprature than the top but when using it as an oven without the heat shield effect of thfull waterpan I might be inclined to think that the heat on the bottom rack could be higher.

Any other ideas? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's why I figured I would rotate the meat between the top & bottom grates if doing 2 roasts. The empty pan probably doesn't radiate heat nearly as much as sand, but I would worry about possibly overcooking the bottom of the roast on the bottom grate.
Let us know how it turns out.

I've done 2 six pounders shooting for medium rare and medium well. I put the medium well on the bottom grate and 45 minutes later put the medium rare on the top grate. Only the medium rare had a thermometer probe. So I took them both off when the roast on the top grate was 10 degrees below medium rare. After a 20 minute rest the medium rare was pretty much on the mark but the medium well was closer to well -- but the folks that wanted medium well didn't seem to mind. The top vent was running about 330 the whole cook. I didn't track the overall time.

I think your variable is going to be what happens during the 45 minute rest. I have no experience with a 45 minute rest but expect things would continue to cook.

Griff

That confirms what i thought about he lower grate. I will put them on at the same time and be may leave my probe in the bottom roast (the maverick probe is supposed to be safe to use in these temps.

I don't know about rotating but I'll think about it. Today is the day!! I'll let you know how they turned oyut and thanks!!

Tom

they turned out fantastic. i did flip them from topp to botom mid way through pulled them off at 125 in the center. one of the roasts was a perfect med rare after resting 30 minutes the other was a little mor emedium 9and had to stay ontyhe smoker 20 minutes more to get to 125 so maybe my placement of the probe was teh issue.

Great roasts and I could have easily done 2 12.5 lb roasts for future information.

Tom,
I'm glad your roasts turned out so good.
For some reason mine wasn't nearly as good as the last one I did with the Montreal Steak rub. It was good but not great. Maybe this particular roast just wasn't as tender as the last one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back