Mods for travel?

Chris SnB

Hi,
I am sorry if this information is out there but I did look and couldn't find anything on it.
I do a few competitions a year and was wondering if anyone had any good mods or advice for packing up and traveling with their WSM? Basically I'm looking for a way to hold it all together while traveling. Id really rather not drill into the finish to install clips or latches. I could certainly go the route of bungees around the smoker or straps but I was curious if anyone had any other "non-invasive" ideas.
Thanks,
Chris

I haul mine all the time with bungies or straps, depending on what I'm hauling it in. Just make sure your force is centered downward as much as possible, if you're pulling a little to the side the center section will shift on the base.

Thanks Greg, seems that's the best way. My brother-in-law lost his lid during travel off the back of a pick up once. Retrieved it but it's out of round, hence my concern.
Bungees will have to do, or maybe I'll just let the WSM ride shotgun and put the wife in the back....;)

Thanks Greg, seems that's the best way. My brother-in-law lost his lid during travel off the back of a pick up once. Retrieved it but it's out of round, hence my concern.
Bungees will have to do, or maybe I'll just let the WSM ride shotgun and put the wife in the back....;)

If you don't want to get the inside of your truck dirty, just put the smoker in the back and then put your wife in the back with it to hold it down :p

Chris,I made a crate that I use to take my WSM on vacation with. I have a picture somewhere that I'll post later. But I take the lid off and the innards out. The lid gets flipped upside down,using an old towel to protect the finish. The innards;water bowl,clay saucer and fire ring have slots to keep them from banging around.

Thanks for the info guys. My new baby, gotta take care of her! ;)

I saved the box that my WSM came in and use that when I need to move it. The pieces that Weber provided to protect it in shipping to the retailer also does a perfect job in protecting it while I move it around. I also use a 75-gallon garbage bag to cover the WSM parts within the box.

Here's what I do:

a14e50a4.jpg

I totally forgot to post this! My bad!
0409101126a_325499.jpg

It's upside down in this picture. I reverse the lid,so it's inside the WSM cavity,and the slots are for the charcoal ring and grates. The extra is for chunks,newspaper and I also bungee the chimney there. Then,the whole shebang goes in the truck under the tonneau.

Last edited:
I totally forgot to post this! My bad!
It's upside down in this picture. I reverse the lid,so it's inside the WSM cavity,and the slots are for the charcoal ring and grates. The extra is for chunks,newspaper and I also bungee the chimney there. Then,the whole shebang goes in the truck under the tonneau.
That is sooo cool! Do you have a picture with the WSM loaded?

@Scott,sorry. When it goes in the crate,I'm usually trying to get the truck loaded for a trip,so no time for pics!

Back