Modernist Cuisine *****

There's actually a good section on bbq in book 2 (on techniques) and also in book 5 (the sauces and meat recipes).

They speak highly of charcoal over gas grills, and charcoal rings get mentioned in part of the grill discussion as a way to focus heat.

Pastrami is almost done smoking.
icon_smile.gif

Sorry for the rebumping, but....
wow....if you're not convinced about M.C., their pastrami recipe I just tried is ineffably good. Holy. Crap. (I just had a rueben taco with homemade sauerkraut with it as well) The only thing I can describe that made me feel the same way when I put it in my mouth was the Foie Gras terrine at Bouchon.

My roommate asked if I needed a cigarette or a towel after watching my face.

(it's not like regular pastrami, the texture isn't chewy, just....smooth. And flavor is all there)

Once you feet have touch the ground again, maybe you'll post some of the time and temp particlars?

I'm happy the recipe worked out for you. I'm invested in sous vide for exactly this reason.

hahah, I totally forgot to take pics. Smoked it to 149f, then bagged/swirled @144f for about 65 hours). Sadly i didn't have a chance to try it until yesterday. I see why they re-apply rub after swirling, it can get washed off by the juices.

I'm getting a 2nd DIY setup to use so I can do more longer swirls at the same time.

Jason Molinari has done the Patrami too. Saw the Pics over at eGullet here. I don't see it in his blog yet, not sure if he'll blog it but he could be a source of info on the Pastrami too.

Found a new butcher shop that I didn't know about. Thought it was just a deli counter till I went in for lunch the other day. And it's right next to my barber. Now I have a sour for those short ribs to do a pastrami with.

For that may mix the Ruhlman cure with the MC smoke/sous vide technique. Alas, June is booked up so might not get to even start this project until 2nd week of July.

We've been cooking burgers the wrong way all of our lives.

“Pressing down with the spatula counteracts the tendency of the burger to lift off the grill due to the steam escaping from the bottom,” Dr. Myhrvold said. “When you press it against a very hot surface, you maximize the Maillard reaction. The great challenge in a burger is to create the Maillard flavors on the outside while keeping the inside fairly pink. Gray meat is tasteless and tough because you’ve broken down the proteins without breaking down the collagen.”

Dr. Myhrvold’s solution to this challenge is a twofold process developed by the “Modernist Cuisine” laboratory team. First, put the beef patty in a plastic bag and cook it sous vide — immersed in warm water for about half an hour until the core temperature reaches about 130 degrees. Next, dip the patty in liquid nitrogen for 30 seconds to freeze the outer millimeter of the meat, and then deep-fry in 450-degree oil for one minute.

“The freezing followed by the burst of high heat lets you brown the outside without overcooking the inside,” Dr. Myhrvold said. And the deep-frying is supposed to be a technological improvement over the classic White Castle spatula-on-a-griddle technique.

“On a griddle,” he explained, “even when you press a burger with a spatula, you can’t make all of it contact the surface because the edge of the burger is crenellated, with all these nooks and crannies formed by the cylinders of raw meat. But if you put it in hot fat, that fat penetrates and you get a super-thin layer of crispy Maillard browning all the way around those meat fibers.”

From Could Liquid Nitrogen Help Build Tasty Burgers?.

Back