Moaning burner #3 what to do?

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all.......so i have come across this issue once before and i swear i fixed it with a regulator........that said it was my nephews grill and i checked it out recently and the burners especially burner #3 was slow to light.
Now onto my current problem. I am working on a deep box 1000 and using a manifold w the tall valve stems. When i fire up the grill tube 1 lights perfectly but crossover acts erratically not pushing the flame all the way across to.tube 3. When i light tube 2 sometimes it lights pretty well and other times it will only light one side or.the other of the center tube.........when i light tube 3.......it lights but starts to moan. This grill is literally ready to deliver and has already been sold. :( ....i cant sell a moaner.
I tried a diff tank and a brand new reg and neither worked. Both tanks are low but have gas........so that only leaves one thing and thats the manifold. Have u guys come across this issue????? I will remove the manifold and service.....if i can get the screws out.

I don't have anything to contribute. Was just curious what a "Moaning burner" was :ROFLMAO: but would like to know if there is a fix for this.

Ha! Ya i tried to play it safe........family channel.......i will video it.....u will then know what a moaning burner #3 is....

Hello all.......so i have come across this issue once before and i swear i fixed it with a regulator........that said it was my nephews grill and i checked it out recently and the burners especially burner #3 was slow to light.
Now onto my current problem. I am working on a deep box 1000 and using a manifold w the tall valve stems. When i fire up the grill tube 1 lights perfectly but crossover acts erratically not pushing the flame all the way across to.tube 3. When i light tube 2 sometimes it lights pretty well and other times it will only light one side or.the other of the center tube.........when i light tube 3.......it lights but starts to moan. This grill is literally ready to deliver and has already been sold. :( ....i cant sell a moaner.
I tried a diff tank and a brand new reg and neither worked. Both tanks are low but have gas........so that only leaves one thing and thats the manifold. Have u guys come across this issue????? I will remove the manifold and service.....if i can get the screws out.
The only thing I can think of the holes on the crossover tube need cleaning. I use a micro drill bit on the round holes and a tiny eye glasses screw driver on the slotted one. Always fixes my issues.

Yah, Joe might have something there. Move the crossover burner around a bit. It might be pushed one way or the other and up against the inside of the burner which could restrict fuel flow into it.
I am assuming you have a new set of burners in there. Correct?

Yes correct....brand new weber brand.....i did see a restriction fire build up between tube 1 and cross over......i guess she has to come apart.......this isnt a normal grill....its a franken grill......my mods have made disassembly just a tad bit more difficult.....long story. I have a brand new tank.....new reg.....new burners......it just has to be the dang manifold......i will look inside the tubes and crossover for restrictions....i will.try everything.........she has to go. So this is my second out of about 40.....has this happened to you Bruce? U have done 100's....

No, I have had very little problem with my flip grills after replacing the burners.

New burners all work fine for me. If I re-use the old ones I clean as mentioned above. On the Q's I have never had to replace them but I do get a comfortable chair and hand drill each one out with a #57 as they get clogged. Then when I fire up the Q I put it on low and drill any that are not putting out enough or stopping the progression around the circle. 20210615_191328.jpg

Thanks guys......yep these were all brand new and Weber brand at that. Soooo I got back to the shop with a full tank vs a mostly empty tank as my Hail Marry. I slid the crossover a little more out of tube 1 to see if that would help too. To my surprise either the full tank or moving the crossover did the trick.....no moaning # 3. I ran her for quite a while and she worked like a champ. When watching the burners I could still see a little flare up at the connection point of the crossover and the tubes. I guess some grease needs to tighten up those fittings a bit. I will deliver the Frankengrill on Thursday. Man my last 4 grills have all kicked my butt in one way or another. A 210 that I couldnt remove the manifold bolts thus couldnt replace the burners.........a Silver B that I couldnt get the knobs off of..........a 300 series Espresso with rotted out bottom shelf.........and The Frankengrill with lots of fabrication needed.........But u cant tell in the pics can you :)20210615_200942.jpg20210615_200937.jpg

Yah, those metal clips in front of the control panel are from a Genesis 1000. Other than that, it looks stock.

Just need a simple photo editing app. I use 'Paint.net". that is the name of the program, not the web site. It is free.

Ya I always like when u draw lines and add comments.....oh well here is my way tonight.......
The mods are....
Angle iron repair for frame through bolt
Starter is an inch to the right
Control panel screws are 2" long and I made spacers for underneath
Plastic end cap is not snapped in...it is sandwiched by large washers and the control panel screws. I cut a frame tube and slid black spacers over each side so the grey from the end cap wouldnt show.....
Hood handle is from a Silver
Knobs from a Silverbig red 2.jpg
big red.jpg

Reminds me of John Madden when he used to draw on the tv screen during football games.

Very nicely done. Next time please document with under cover pics of the mods. A lot of folks I think would be interested in seeing the actual mods.

Back