10 slices bacon cooked in skillet and chopped save that skillet
2 ribs celery diced small
1 onion diced small
1 10 oz. package baby bellas chopped
4 cloves garlic sliced thin!
1.5 cups panko soaked in .75 cups milk
3 eggs lightly beaten
.25 cups worcetershire sauce
.33 cups bbq rub I used a texas rub from my dad heavy on sugar good amopunt of pure chili powder i use chipotle plus extra for rubbing on top and sides

Glaze ingredients
.33 cups honey
.66 cups bbq sauce (I used sweet baby rays honey bbq sauce)

after cooking bacon cook veggies in skillet until soft, cool to room temp. chop bacon, soak panko, beat eggs. combine all inredients until well mixed( don't over do it). I did this at 9:00 this morning then put in fridge and made loaves about three this aternoon. I don't know if it makes a differance mixing it ahead of time,thought it might make flavors meld better. form into loaves put in 325 smoker cook till internal temp of 155 apply glaze and continue cooking till internal temp of 165. rest for 20 minutes. DEVOUR

soory, baby bellas are baby portabellas or crimini mushrooms. Give them a try instead of white buttons and you will never go back. and panko is a japanese bread crumb very light and crunchy started using it a while ago and just cant stop especially good for fried stuff

Your meatloaf recipe sounds VERY interesting! But I have a few questions:

How many loaves did you make?

Do you put the loaves directly on the grates? (Do they stay together pretty well during the cook?)

What kind of smoke wood did you use?

How long did the cook take?

Did you put water in the water pan, or leave it empty?

My mother's coming in for Thanksgiving, and she's never had homemade barbecue. I'm considering making this for her (she LOVES meatloaf!) before the big day.

Mike, if you make anything "special" for your mom, it will be the best thing she has ever had - ever. Meatloaf will just take it over the top. Go for the meatloaf.

Search for 'meatloaf' on the beef forum and you will find quite a bit of information as far as smoke and timing.

Any meatloaaf recipe, simple or complicated, becomes fantastic when smoked. Smaller meatloaves will cook quicker, that's all. It doesn't matter what the size of the meatloaf is....go for 155 to 160°F internal and let it rest for at least 30 minutes before giving your mom the best meatloaf she has ever tasted.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">panko ? We did not have em </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve,

You can find panko at your Harris Teeter in the international foods section. It has a bit of sweetness to it.

Ray

Mike,
I made two loaves and put them on parchment paper on the grate both on top. I use a guru so no water in the pan. I started the meatloafs at about 325 degrees but they were cooking to fast so I turned it down to 275. they took about 2 hours, but you can do it quicker if you leave the temps alone. I used apple wood and hickory. these stayed together real well, but I have had problems in the past. You should be able to tell if they are firm after mixing and forming the loaves. Some people use foil loaf pans but I like all the smoke I can get

Thanks for the info, G and Rita!! I'm gonna give it a go!! I'll let you know how it turns out!! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!!
icon_smile.gif

Just wanted to let you know, G, that your meatloaf turned out EXCELLENT!!! I couldn't believe what a wonderful flavor it had, and how moist it was! I'm sure that I've smelled something better than the aroma of your meatloaf, but I just can't think of anything at the moment.
icon_smile.gif

Sadly, though, by the time I finally got it done, everyone had munched so much on snack food that they didn't have much room left -- but they sure gave it a go! LOL!!!

I didn't get the meat on until 5:00 p.m., and with the temp problems I've been having (see my post here), it wasn't done until 9:00 p.m., and even then I had to finish it off in the oven. But I followed Rita's suggestion and vacuum-packed all the leftovers.

Thanks, again, for the recipe!!

Mike,
I'm glad you liked it. sorry to hear about your temp issues. I was wondering if possibly you have too much ash building up in the bottom of the smoker as that will inhibit air flow. I rarely have a problem getting my temps up, but I run a guru. One thing I really like about it is I end up using so little charcoal ash is never a problem. I have run it for 16 hours at 225 to 250 and had 1/2 my ring left. anyways congrats on the meatloaf. I always vacum pack mine infact I will be reheating some tonight.

As a follow-up to this thread, I pulled the leftovers out of the freezer last week, and after re-heating, they pretty much tasted like they just came off the WSM! I was really surprised at how well the "spice" held up after about 2 1/2 months in the freezer!! Way cool!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

I am so glad to hear it. I don't know how you kept them in the freezer that long. After i made the first batch I started making 15 # batches and freezing, but I still can't get it to last. My wife says I'm not allowed to cook another loaf in the oven ever. People want to know how much I charge for it so I am going to have to cosat out the recipe soon. any ways I'm glad you liked it and hope more people will try it,
Glon

Back