mixing wood

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I read on a site where someone sells pecan and mesquite wood not to mix the two up and I'm wondering why. Incompatible flavor? I have some mesquite and just got some cherry. How would those be mixed? And what would they flavor best? Thanks!

You'll find some suggestions here. The only reason I can think of to not mix mesquite with pecan-- or any other wood for that matter-- is that it would probably just overpower the other wood.

On my last couple of cooks, I used just one type of wood . Pecan for one and cherry for the other. In the past I've been mixing the woods. Mostly hickory and something else. I can say without a doubt now that I can taste the difference in the different types of wood (cherry is great with chicken!!). Before that, I believe the hickory was overpowering the other woods.

The point is this...From now on when I mix woods, I will definitely be taking it easy on the stronger flavors (oak, hickory, mesquite). I'll probably do something like a 3:1 or a 4:1 type ratio.
-------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

The only thing I use Mesquite for is cooking steaks. Mesquite is way to strong for smoking. It leaves a bitter taste when used for too long. I like Cherry and Oak the best for smoking. Alder is good too. I also like to throw in pecan chips now and then. But I only use Mesquite for short hot cooking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by J. Clay:
[qb] The only thing I use Mesquite for is cooking steaks. Mesquite is way to strong for smoking. It leaves a bitter taste when used for too long. I like Cherry and Oak the best for smoking. Alder is good too. I also like to throw in pecan chips now and then. But I only use Mesquite for short hot cooking. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree. I've used Kingsford Mesquite for doing turkeys and I did'nt like the end result. Now I only use it for grilling. I may throw in a couple briquits while doing a long smoke. But not to many. I use apple, crabapple, pear, and maple. That's what I get from my dads house after trimming his tee's.

Hi, new poster to this board. I think my WSM is arriving today. Do I qualify as a member yet, or do I have to wait until it's assembled, or maybe fired up first? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Maybe they meant don't get the two mixed up? If you mixed up your piles of smoke wood, then put mesquite on in the amount you meant to put pecan on it could ruin the end product. But using mostly pecan with one piece of mesquite thrown in shouldn't be a disaster. Although, I've never used pecan or mesquite, so whatdoiknow?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back