Minion Temps

Mike Graef

TVWBB Member
I cooked some butts over the 4th and was wondering why it took so long for my temps to come up. I used fireking lump, full ring with a full chimney added to the ring, packed pretty tight, vents 100% open, no obstructions, no wind outside, temps in 70s.

My temps hovered at about 170 without moving for over 2 hours, water pan had warm water in it, butts were about 15 pounds total. I finally got it to move by adding 3/4 of K briquettes. After adding these I went to bed, woke 6 hours later at 240, stirred coals and fired up to around 275.

Any thoughts, and for those that do high heat minion cooks, how much do you light? Is the pan empty?

Thanks,

Last, first: For high-heat cooks started with the MM, I use about double the amount of lit (if using lump in the ring, which is standard for me). Empty pan.

I'm not familiar with Fireking lump. Perhaps that's the issue. When I've used especially dense lump (you know it is if it is relatively harder to light) and the day is windless, I know I'll need yet additional lit and will also make sure I don't overpack around the vent areas. I'm thinking it might be a lump issue.

Back