Minion Method Temps

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Got my new WSM a few weeks back and it's great. The only problem I've had is stabilizing the temp using the MM. (FYI - I'm following the basic MM instructions and using Kingsford.)
I know part of my problem is my remote thermometer. Since the readout is right in front of me, I'm constantly checking it and then making too many adjustments on the WSM.
I may also have some wind issues, but I'm not sure how much wind it takes to affect the WSM. I built a windscreen this weekend so hopefully the wind problem is solved.

Just curious how long it takes some of you to get your temps stable with the MM.

Thanks for the help,

Nate

Usually within an hour my temps are tuned in and holding. Like you mentioned, try not to micro-manage. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

As Chris stated:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It takes the Weber Bullet a little time to react to changes in vent settings. The trick is to anticipate the direction the cooker temperature is heading and adjust accordingly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Small adjustments are all that's needed. And then give it several minutes to react.

Try to limit adjustments to no more than 25% on all 3 vents.

Don't make any major adjustments unless major changes are required. And then watch it like a hawk.

Practice makes perfect ... Q!

I try to limit adjustment to only one vent. Basically, I'll fire up using the MM with all vents wide open. When within 20 degrees (about 30-45 minutes?) I'll close two vents completely and leave one wide open. The wide open vent is the only that I make adjustments to.

This usually puts me on temp at about an hour.

Working with only one vents seems to give me better control. I'll hold the other two vents "in reserve". If I cannot get up to temp then I'll open another vent wide open and use the "original" vent to adjust temp as needed. I have my WSM on the edge of the driveway and working with only 1 vent means I don't have to walk around to the "back" of the unit. I know that sounds silly, but it works for me. It also makes my adjustments naturally smaller.

If it is windy close the bottom vent that is into the wind and only use the other two, even if you have a wind block you may find that it still helps.
Very small changes in the setting on the vents can get you big swings, don't chase them or you will go nuts.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back