Minion method and new kingsford

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
I know the new kingsford has generated a lot of discussion here, and I've read quite a bit of it. Tomorrow, I'm going to queing up a 5.5lb butt using the minion method and new kingsford. I'm going to start at 7 when the temp should be about 50, but should rise to about 68 tomorrow with no wind (WSM is all snug in his plywood enclosure).

Can anyone suggest the number of briquettes to start with, using the new kingsford and MM? Normally I would use about 20 or so, but am concerned that the new kingsford will start more quickly. Should I cut down, or still use 20?

Phil

You're probably looking for someone who has "been there, done that". I haven't yet, because I'm still using my old stach. However, I've thought about and would start with 10 to 12 lit. I would be prepared to begin closing vents sooner and more than with the old K. I would think you would get in the 250 lid cooking range quicker and thus your total cooktime (meat on the grate) should be less.

Best of luck and please post your results.

Paul

That was my rationale - use less because it will likely get to temp quicker. But for some reason it hasn't turned out that way. I find the chimney lights faster, but smoker temp seems to get up to normal range at about the same rate. So... I now use the same amount of starting briquettes. Just be ready to close down the vents when it nears your temp range.

Thanks for the replies, everybody. I'll use 20 and will report back.

Hey Tony, I checked out your website re: your recent butt cook...really great. I must try a fatty on my WSM one of these days.

O.k. so I fired up the wsm using the MM and new K. I usually put the butt in right after I put the coals and smoke wood on, and while it may be my imagination, it did seem like the smoker came up to temps much more quickly than with the old kingsford. But, after a little tweaking the first hour or so, the temp has been rock steady 235 for the last 3 hours. Methinks maybe the new kingsford isn't so bad after all.
icon_smile.gif

Phil,
Sounds very interesting. I would be curious to know if you had to re-fuel during this cook.

Rath *missin' the old stuff*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don C.:
Phil,
Sounds very interesting. I would be curious to know if you had to re-fuel during this cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don,

I did not need to re-fuel, and got probably 13 hours out of a ring filled about 80%. When I took the butt off, I closed all the dampers including the top one. I had lots of charcoal left. HOWEVER, in my opinion, there was *much* more ash than with the old stuff.

To be honest, I didn't really notice much of a difference between the new and old except for the faster light time and more ash.

Back