mini-v afterburner vs digi-q for a 22.5 wsm?

Tony Shimko

hello,
I tried to find this information thru a search but failed, so if it is out there and I missed it, I apologize,

I started trying to cook with a charbroil silver offset and got tired of tending the fire. I got a 22.5 wsm and it is much less effort. so far I have added gasket material and brazed together a charcoal basket from expanded steel that is less diameter than the stock fire ring, which seems to work better for the 3-8hr cooking time range.

however I would like to increase the cook time and reduce the tending time, so it seems like the next step is to go back to the larger fire ring with more charcoal load and a stoker or digiQ to mind it, or maybe a gas conversion. I have not intention of regulated competition (unless doing better than the Texan transplant across the street counts as competition?)

from an economic perspective, it seems like a wireless thermometer and a gas burner is a cost effective(and possibly more bullet proof) alternative to a stoker/digi-q setup.

I can find lots of experience with stokers, digi-qs etc but I have found very little experience with people using a 'mini-v afterburner' setup with a 22.5 wsm. does anyone have any real-life experience on this question? at this point, the gas conversion seems like an economic and effective choice for dealing with 8+hr cooking times.

thanks for any insight on this. (part of me dreads the inevitable purchase of both a stoker and burner and subsequent part swapping)

Back